Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It is either a stupid question, or it broke down.
I recently bought my VTX, but i do not know how to change my odometer to Trip A. I thought it was the little rubber button on the left front of the speedometer, but it doens't do anything.
Is this the right way or am i just being stupid?
If this is the case, how can i fix this?

·
Old Goat
25,403 Posts
Just press to change...hold down to clear....so easy a caveMan can do it...good luck

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just press to change...hold down to clear....so easy a caveMan can do it...good luck
This is what i thought, but it doesn't change when i press it. How can i repair this?

·
Old Goat
25,403 Posts
This is what i thought, but it doesn't change when i press it. How can i repair this?
Our resident electrical guru “Hans” should be along....Good luck
Mines 14 years old zero problems...u sure its not operator error...:eek:

Reactions: dude_95

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Probably oxidized contacts.. Or soap film from a washing or a major rain event. WD 40 sprayed into the switch cleared my issue a long time ago...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yes, as above. Clean it first, then check the wires. I ended up having to change mine. They were available a couple years ago. Believe it fit many bikes of the era.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
382 Posts
Try repositioning the rubber that you press on. This is what I had to do. Mine wasn't working till i did that. It shouldn't move out of place, but it can. It has to be on there perfectly

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to reposition the rubber and used some wd40 in it. Still doesn't work. Do i need to get the console out now?

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Remove 3 bottom screws on the console, remove fuel cap, lift lower end an inch or two, push console forward an inch. Lift console, flip it over. Two screws to remove switch. You can also intermittently touch a wire to the screws and see if it will toggle.. Another chance to clean switch or replace switch depending what you testing at the screws does..

Reactions: Jens Boedt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remove 3 bottom screws on the console, remove fuel cap, lift lower end an inch or two, push console forward an inch. Lift console, flip it over. Two screws to remove switch. You can also intermittently touch a wire to the screws and see if it will toggle.. Another chance to clean switch or replace switch depending what you testing at the screws does..
Can you use a voltmeter to check it it still works? I pushed the wires and cleaned them a bit, but still doesn't work 🤔

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Remove the switch. You can test with an ohm meter, use a light bulb of 1 amp current and see if that clears oxidation. There is a extension between the switch and the button. Do something.
Place a short across the screws with the IGN switch ON.. Connect > Release
You should be able to increment the Trip A > Trip B > Odometer

Reactions: Jens Boedt

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies!
We found out it was the push button that was broken. We pulled it out and put another one (from an old toy) in it. Works perfectly now, thanks a lot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts