Honda VTX Forum banner

Changing brake pads and bleeding system

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  bigdaddy1 
#1 ·
anybody in the area have experience with changing the brake pads, and bleeding the linked system? I hear it can be tricky and have never done it on my X. I need to change brake fluid, clutch fluid and do pads all around. I have all the parts and fluid. Here its a pain though. I would like to do it myself, but here its better to just take it in. Any help would be appreciated. Would like to maybe see If someone out there could help a brother out:D I would Ideally like to do all the work on my bike myself. I dont really trust the techs at the local shops. Or if I have to take it in, where would yall recommend taking it?

#2 ·
Easy to do pads only take about 1 minute per set, changing fluids is another story but can be done quickly and reliably with an auto brake bleader, I have a" mity vac "and it makes the job so quick and easy, very good investment as you can also do your autos. I would be glad to help if you want to come down to Kenosha.
Mike

#3 ·
I see a possible tech session in Kenosha! If so count me in to help/watch

#4 ·
Greedy, thank you so much for the offer to help, I think I will take you up on it! I would love to learn how to do this myself for the future. 1badta, if ok with Greedy we should have a little tech session! I think it would be fun. Can I get your guy's numbers? pm me! we can set something up!

#7 ·
Or a tech session in Waukesha...

#10 ·
Greedy is a good guy, I remember you from the old days!! The grill and cold ones may be worth the drive, then you can brake the pads in on the way home :thumbup:

It took me less than an hour to put pads on front and rear, the bleeding may take about the same because you want to be careful with the fluid. When did you want to do it?? Is riding to Greedys some weekend out of the question??

For those of you going to the dells and want my cell just in case.................262 364-6846

#11 ·
No goin to greedys is fine with me, whoever will be able to help me out is where I'm gonna go, considering I've never done it, I'm willing to go anywhere lol, Ill bring some beer lol sounds like a plan when the weather starts to cooperate a little with us just let me know greedy when you will have some free time. Maybe we can have a gathering of the x's:oops:

#12 ·
Tech Session

Hey count me in too! I like to drink beer and eat grilled food! Would be nice to get together and talk bikes! :lol:

#16 ·
Supposed to rain now :banghead:

Been doing some reading on rear shock bushings, mine has a good clunk from the rear over medium size bumps, the upper shock mount does look a little off center and found that people are putting 1800 poly bushings in, anyone hear replace theirs and if so what did you put in??

http://www.rattlebars.com/cart/bushings.html

#18 ·
OEM.... researched... found out those poly really aren't any better... what a difference it makes !!

#19 ·
I had the bushings replaced in my Progressive rears last year. I had the Honda guys at Southeast Sales fight with them for a hour because I simply couldn't get them in. It made a huge difference. All my squeaking on bumps vanished completely as there was metal on metal contact.

The new bushings are very solid and don't just easily slip into the struts...good luck if doing iy yourself.

#21 ·
I replaced the shock bushings last year, just before the MMR. They went on pretty easy in my opinion. I used the 1800 bushings as noted in the how too section. I did notice the studs were badly rusted and I will take them apart again soon and put some axle grease to eliminate an annoying squeak that has since developed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.