I do if I'm running with someone.
Sucker :roll:

Brian

?

·
0 Posts
only while going up from 2>3>4>5

Dont worry for those who havn't tried it yet

The square cut gears slide nicely into place if you get it down just right :wink:

The key is matching the revs perfectly so listen close and just feel it happen, with practice its a breeze.

Start out gently put a little pressure on the shifter, for my retro...just the weight of my boot heel works fine, as a change in revs gets higher simply back of the throttle , just a short blip, and the gear will slide right into place...no clutch necessary.Then roll on , repeat.

After a while it gets real easy to shift by ear when you get more familiar with your bike :wink:

H

·
0 Posts
I do it every time I forget to pull the clutch lever. And I always find myself saying that I can't believe how smooth it went. But one day- - - BOOM!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
T.I. said:
Just curious who in here changes gears without pulling in the cluth.
I started riding dirt bikes when I was 12 and only used the clutch starting and stopping and, sometimes, downshifting. Also used to do it in my car.

Every now and then I still catch myself shifting without the clutch. Try not to do it too much cause I figure the clutch was put there for a reason. :roll: :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Twisting the Gas Down a bit when shifting is what they do alot with the racing bikes when not using the clutch. I let off the gas just alittle bit pull the clutch in quikely and dump it into the next gear and stand on it into each gear if you want to get after it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
VTXtreme said:
The key is matching the revs perfectly so listen close and just feel it happen, with practice its a breeze.

Start out gently put a little pressure on the shifter, for my retro...just the weight of my boot heel works fine, as a change in revs gets higher simply back of the throttle , just a short blip, and the gear will slide right into place...no clutch necessary.Then roll on , repeat.

After a while it gets real easy to shift by ear when you get more familiar with your bike :wink:
Good topic. Ever since I talked to a guy that attributes his success racing 600's to doing this I've been wondering how to do it, but I don't think I quite get it yet.

Can you fill in the blanks? What are you matching revs with? Is that when you let off the throttle, shift and roll back on? So if you are cruising at 3500rpm you let off the throttle, shift, and roll back on at 3500?

Without a tach on these bikes there must be a certain fudge factor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BOOM

Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
I do it every time I forget to pull the clutch lever. And I always find myself saying that I can't believe how smooth it went. But one day- - - BOOM!!!

How about elaborating on the BOOM Hal. What did you mess up?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Changing gear without clutch?
Only when I have a beer in that hand, or when I'm screwing with my mp3 player...

B

·
0 Posts
The professional racers have switches built into the shifter that cut the engine for a split second to unload the gears as the the shift occurs. Some don't even have the shifter and use buttons on the bars because they've screwed up their lower legs so bad.

Many also "flip the shifter" so its 1 up and 5 down. Wish I could do that on the VTX. I got use to that one day on my brother's FZR400 taking a racing class and it just seemed so natural to stomp on the gear shifter to go faster.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Drove semi's way back when, they teach you to speed shift - matching RPM's and gears. All syncro transmissions can be speed-shifted, it just takes a little skill & understanding the mechanics of what's happening.

But you double clutch on the downshift, I'll have to try that on the X :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts