Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer has done the past 2 for me, bike has been sitting for 14 months drained (dealer set it up for storage)

I need to change the oil and fire up the mule, paint will be done in a few days..

I see from the VTXOA Garage link that the writeup shows "2" drain plugs.

is it necessary to remove and drain from both?

isn't it coming from the same oil pan?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
YEs, you need to remove both, it is not from the same pan as the X doesn't really have a pan. It is the bottom of the engine and there is a shelf that holds about a quart up front.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks spike...

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
Its great to hear your bikes going to be finally done. Welcome back, cant wait to see pictures :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
YEs, you need to remove both, it is not from the same pan as the X doesn't really have a pan. It is the bottom of the engine and there is a shelf that holds about a quart up front.
Don't get me wrong, I'll NEVER doubt Spikes knowledge. But DANG! I ain't never got close to a quart of oil out of that front plug! I'd better keep a better eye on my oil level.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
OK, it is less than a qt, that's why I said "About" but it is more than 1/2 a quart and less than 1 full qt. 8)

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
Always remove BOTH Plugs!!! They have Two for a Reason...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Use a torque wrench to tighten the drain plugs as they can be stripped very easy. Also replace the crush washers if they show any deformation.

It's an easy job to do.

Good luck, Jim...

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Guys, and yes I will post pictures when done...:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts