Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Started my bike, no probs, going along sea front here in sunny southend on my way to work, UK, crept up to 50mph, and thought its time to get into fifth gear.

Clutch in, nice positive press on the heel to switch up, and release the clutch, but the throttle didn't respond! It was like i was in neutral, so another positive gear change up and I was in 5th.

Tried the same again, got up to 4th, then up to fifth but it was like it was in neutral but this time i could hear a clanking noise, so I quickly went up to fifth and back down to fourth. Looks like we're gonna have our sunniest weekend in weeks here too, but can't risk takin the bike out with a gearbox like that!

Anyone else had anything like this? Got it booked in for a check on monday, but just wanted to let off some steam cos its been raining for weeks, and this weekend I coulda finally went out for a ride.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There can be a false neutral between 4th and 5th. You definitely need to make strong gear changes to not hit the false neutral. Have it checked out by all means but it's probably normal.

I don't know about your dealers but many here in the states will tell you that things are normal. A couple that are normal are the false neutral and noisy engine. One that is NOT normal is a wobble that starts showing up around 8000 miles. It occurs when decelerating in the range of 35-45 miles/per/hour. Again it is NOT normal. The dealer will try to act ignorant about it or tell you that all cruisers do it or that it is your tires. The general consensus is that it is the steering bearings and the only permanent fix is to replace them. And, yes they know about it. A class action law suit is pending against Honda of America about this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a clank clank noise whilst I was in the false neutral though, so that got me a bit worried the whole gearbox could go!

It's due a service anyways, (1500 miles on clock, shoulda had one just before 900), so on monday I'll know whats going on. I'll let you guys know how it gets on, cos if it is this false neutral that could be quite common, its not happened to me before.

I've heard about the wheel wobble, alot of people seem to think its a 'characteristic' of the bike

I wish I knew a bit more about bikes, but its a bit of a learning process, I'm only 22, and have to rely on my dealer for anything at the moment should there be a fault.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Check your clutch cable, last time I had problems shifting it was starting to frey.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the false neutral problem. Once I swiched to synthetic oil at 4k end of problem :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I hit the false neutral once. Others in here have said its common to do so with a soft shift.

Nothing is wrong with your gearbox.

Make solid shifts and you should have no other issue.

TCT

·
Registered
804 Posts
keep us posted

on what you do to resolve the issue, the false neutral is much more benign than what you describe, for instance, the throttle responds racing the engine rather than as you reported.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the heel shifter to go up a gear, and my boots are pretty hefty, so I know theres a good positive upshift there. My clutch needs to be released a little more than usual I noticed over the last few days, so maybe I have a similar issue to ZabriP, with the clutch cable.

I'm hoping in the service they will use a good grade oil, any that is recommended for this bike?

·
Registered
804 Posts
synthetic oil is the way to go, here in the states mobil1 and amsoil are popular brands. you should be sure to get a motorcyle oil that does not include friction reducers (they will make your clutch slip). synthetic oils will make a significant difference in the ease of shifting, even with your "hefty" boots, you'll feel it, plus they last a lot longer. there are differences in filters, too. use the search function to find threads covering those (i seem to remember fram being a brand to avoid).
good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
tlawrence84 said:
There was a clank clank noise whilst I was in the false neutral though, so that got me a bit worried the whole gearbox could go!

It's due a service anyways, (1500 miles on clock, shoulda had one just before 900), so on monday I'll know whats going on. I'll let you guys know how it gets on, cos if it is this false neutral that could be quite common, its not happened to me before.

I've heard about the wheel wobble, alot of people seem to think its a 'characteristic' of the bike

I wish I knew a bit more about bikes, but its a bit of a learning process, I'm only 22, and have to rely on my dealer for anything at the moment should there be a fault.
Thats your first problem, right there. You need to get a service manual, get your hands dirty, and above all, ask questions here!!! Don't rely on your dealer to give you straight up answers. If you want some actual truth from experience, this is the place to come to. If you post a question, you will usually get some answers extremely quickly.

Your problem sounds like the extremely common, but benign infamous false neutral. The "clank clank" noise that you heard was just the sound of the gears that were supposed to be engaged clicking their tips. You really can't be afraid to stomp on that shifter going into 5th. I definitely would not waste a beautiful riding weekend on worrying about it. Your bikes not going to blow up. Get out there and ride!!!!! :p

Good luck,

-Dave

·
Registered
898 Posts
That happens to me when I 'pussyfoot' while changing gears. Don't be afraid to kick that gear into place... in other words, do not be gentle while changing gears.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys,

I adjusted my clutch cable a bit, so that it doesn't need to be pulled in as mutch to disengage, and changing to fifth hasn't caused a problem. The bike is currently in the garage to have a quick look at so I should know if there is a prob with that at all very soon.

Thanks for your help on this one, and I did get out at the weekend for a good run (using fifth gear!)!

·
Registered
562 Posts
tlawrence84 said:
Hi guys,

I adjusted my clutch cable a bit, so that it doesn't need to be pulled in as mutch to disengage, and changing to fifth hasn't caused a problem. The bike is currently in the garage to have a quick look at so I should know if there is a prob with that at all very soon.

Thanks for your help on this one, and I did get out at the weekend for a good run (using fifth gear!)!
Let us know what they say. I've fallen between 4th and 5th once after about 15000 miles, maybe once a long time ago but I don't remember for sure. I'd be surprised if they find anything, I'm thinking your experience was a fluke. I know that's not reassuring, but let us know what they say.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
that false neutral happened to me 1 time. I think it was the first week I had the bike. Has never happened again, and I have nver really given it any more thought since it happened.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I hit the false neutral still from time to time.....usually when I'm wearing my narrower boots (shifter is adjusted for my big ones). Haven't blown it up yet in 70,000 miles. :wink:

When it happens...just pull the clutch in again and try again. Make sure your shifter is adjusted good for you so you get a good push.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I agree with the posts above.

1. Use more pressure on your heel shifter – kick it hard.
2. Change to synthetic oil
3. Check the clutch cable adjustment

The sure-fire fix is Item # 1. The other two options will let you use less pressure than what you currently need.

Eddie

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys,

2 honda experienced mechanics gave the bike a test ride, and both came up with the conclusion that the shifter pedal was touching the floorboard whilst changing gear. They have either moved the shifter slightly closer to the bike, or moved the board out a bit (can't remember which) but due to some really heavy rain today its not been easy to test yet.

Had the service too, so some good quality synthetic oil is in their, although they havn't touched my clutch cable so I best set that back (not enough play at the mo, and engaged or disengaged without an inbetween doesn't go well in the rain!).

Thanks for all your suggestions!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Poison said:
I hit the false neutral still from time to time.....usually when I'm wearing my narrower boots (shifter is adjusted for my big ones). Haven't blown it up yet in 70,000 miles. :wink:

When it happens...just pull the clutch in again and try again. Make sure your shifter is adjusted good for you so you get a good push.
You got 70k. :shock: You must ride come rain, snow, sleet or shine. 8)

Biddy

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Biddy said:
Poison said:

Biddy
Speaking of weather Biddy...87* @ 8:19PM...in Washington! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Metric Mark said:
Biddy said:
Poison said:

Biddy
Speaking of weather Biddy...87* @ 8:19PM...in Washington! :shock: :shock: :shock: 8)
They're calling for even warmer temps the next few days too. :?

Living in an igloo sounds good about now. :lol:

Biddy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts