Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning our next motorcycle trip for the middle of September. We've been to the Smokies (Deals Gap and surronding areas) several times but are looking for something different. We'll have a full week to spend; not only to ride, but she likes to take a break and do the touristy things (read SHOP).

We were thinking about the Charleston, West Virginia area. Looks like there's lots of good scenic and twisting roads AND some non-riding activities in and around the city.

Anybody familiar with this area?

Wife will be riding her Sabre and I'll ride my Suzuki SV1000. I learned from riding the GAP that my 1800C can be quite a load on the twisty stuff.
The naked SV makes about 115 hp and 74lb tq. Amazing what a 1000cc Vtwin can do.

·
Registered
354 Posts
cdm91501 said:
I am gonna try to give you a link to my trip I took a few weeks ago. If the link don't work just go to the rides trips and events on here and look for WV bike trip. This area is within a hour or two of Charleston and is a beautiful place.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=198183u a link
It has been fifteen years since I've been to Hawks Nest, but he is absolutely correct about the beautiful scenery. Thanks for reminding me. The wife and I will have to take a ride out there. We haven't been back since we were dating.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Charleytown

....grew up there, learned to ride on all those twisters...whatcha want to know? If you come up from the south, look up Hawk's Nest and Droop Mountain....great riding, wonderful scenery....man, I wish I was up there now. The older part of downtown has tons of homes that date to the Civil war era that have been restored, the South Hills area has huge old mansion that has been restored and is open to the public (Sunrise?) much more. One thing that's cool about the area, you have to hit the interstate to find a straight road! (Most of those aren't real straight, the West Virginia Turnpike coming up from the south starting at the Virginia state line can be a real experience if you've never ridden it......

·
Registered
827 Posts
Man, you guys are making me want to take a road trip to West Virgina. Humm....wonder if I might have time to swing over that way on my trip up to the Great Lakes in a couple of weeks? Where is that Altas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies regarding the roads and the scenery. We'll be heading there from northwest Indiana and plan on staying just south of Charleston. We'll certainly stop at the Hawk's Nest State Park.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts