Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my "X" is in the shop for some minor stuff. Since the rear wheel was off, I thought a quick check of the bearings in the final drive flange would be a good idea. Tapper has put a lot of time and effort into this problem, and my thanks go out to him for that.

Well, the bearings are literally coming apart. There are two, on some sort of sleeve, side by side. One was in pieces, and the other had pieces from the bad bearing inside.

I wonder just how bad it could have been, if I had continued to ride on those bearings? This is not the kind of quality I've come to expect from Honda. I had it disassembled at work and my boss saw the problem. Then I got the "you should have bought a Harley". All this over a piece of crap bearing.

So, check those bearings folks. Don't want to see anyone getting hurt over this.

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just replaced all bearings in the rear drive assy. I have 8 of the 6905 2rs left. Mine felt rough when you spin them but weren't coming apart.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
jwhok said:
Is this an 1800 thing or are 1300's suspect also?
I hope just a 1800 thing. How many miles are on the bikes that are having issues with the bearings? I'm close to 12k.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jwhok said:
Mindflyer said:
Grandpa J said:
Mike...did Neil fix your bike??
Not yet, but it will be fixed soon.
Mike, what are you having done?
Nothing major... Changing the brake and clutch fluids, fork oil and front springs.

Thought I'd clean up the wheels while he had the bike. That's when I found the problem.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I let a little time pass since I went to the shop to pick up "Victoria". When I got there, she was still disassembled. The kickstand recall was being addressed. No big deal, shouldn't take long to finish. I had already been told that the right side switch cover hadn't been done yet, and that i might have to lend a hand to get it done before closing. No problem.

With the kickstand finished, I was told that it had been a bad day in the shop. That everything that could have gone wrong, had. We all have bad days, I understand.

The fork oil had been changed, and while the forks were apart, the new Progressive springs were installed. The front and rear wheels were back on, and the bike was on the ground.

So the mechanic says to me, "the way today has gone, I'm almost afraid to get into the switch cover. If we get it apart, and get into trouble, we might not finish today". At that point, I'm thinking, if he has a confidence problem on the cover, I think I'll wait. I might want to ride over the weekend. So I tell him that and he writes up the bill.

Then he says, oh man, you wanted the clutch and brake fluids changed. "I forgot all about that."
At this point, I'm fast approching a meltdown. :x I figure the smart thing to do is get the hell out of there before I do or say something I'll regret later. I tell him that I'll give him a week or so to get caught up, then I'll call him back to schedule a time to bring it back to get things finished.

After thinking about this for a week, I don't know what I'm going to do. :roll:

Oh well, I guess I'm thru ranting now. Aren't you glad I didn't post a week ago? :wink:

Thanks for the opportunity to vent.

So guys and gals, check those bearings. BTW, the only bearings I could find didn't even have a brand name on them. The only markings were the part number and "MADE IN CHINA". That makes me feel real good. Gotta find some other bearings before my rear tire needs to be replaced.

I need to ride more. Good therapy.

See ya,

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts