Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ended up replacing my rear wheel dampers after changing the clutch and having the rear off my X. Couldn't figure out where this noise was coming from. Sounded like the rear of the engine. By accident I noticed the dampers were shot as I was putting the rear wheel back on. It must let the gear get out of square because it sure mad some noise. The noise traveled up the driveline which through me off. Got an email from Duc who had the very same problem. I had 47K on mine and Duc puts on more miles than me so would look for it as the miles get up there.

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
Wow! Who'da thought? I'll puit this in a favorites folder for later use, glad you tracked it down. 8)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
what the heck is a "rear wheel damper?" I couldn't find in service manual index. Where in the manual might it be?

Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
Look in the section for the rear wheel disassembly/assembly you will find them there. They are wedge shaped rubber pieces that fit between the drive flange and the wheel housing.

Lonewolf

·
Registered
756 Posts
After looking at the exploded drawing, it isn't clear to me how the rear wheel damper fails? What kind of noise does it cause? Is there any particular vibration signature or correlation?

George

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
The dampers take the abuse of the torque from the motor or wheel(when decellerating). You twist the throttle the driveshaft spins turning the gears in the final drive that impart their power to the rubber dampers squishing them over&over&over. Same when you decellerate it is now doing that in the opposite direction. So they will wear out over time. The rubber will deteriorate and the there will be metal to metal contacting. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts