Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first of many tech questions I'm sure. Thanks in advance for responding and for the help and advice. I have a 2005 VTX 1300 and when I first start it, I pull the choke and it creeps back in and the motor dies. I'm having to hold the choke till it warms up. Is this right? :unsure: If not, what do some of you more experienced folks recommend for a fix. Once again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Grab the rubber cover by the bracket and tighten it some.
A nut tightens the friction zone.
Pull the knob all the way, Crank, start, then push it in about half way to where
you have a good fast idle. I have a stop sign in 400 feet, than a left or go straight
in 800 feet, than I start closing the choke aka enricher. Winter I may delay for another 400 feet.
A poor transition when enricher closes, therefore my delay tactic.
I have Never fouled any spark plugs this way.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The key point here is that it's not a choke in the automotive sense. It's an enricher meaning it increases the flow of fuel into the carb. Over use will cause fouled plugs (black).
tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys so much for the input. Now I know why the previous owner changed plugs so much when it only had 12 thousand miles on it. Your explanations explain allot. This is my first VTX forum and only my second forum in my life. The smart people aren't in the dealerships. ( No disrespect to dealers but my Honda dealer closed down) They are on forums like this one.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
The enricher does feed air and fuel. Fuel alone will not give a high idle.
As you push it in it will begin to lope and black smoke is a sign of running rich.
It does a HD imitation if it closes too much, goes rich and RPMs drop.
Normally I have it at the faster idle, so distance is my closing OR when I shift
to 3rd gear in summer and 4th gear in winter.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You'll learn its part of the reason quite a few folks rejet their bikes to avoid using the enricher. The other reason is try and add a little more ummphh after opening up the airbox or installing a new air intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts