Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read this in today's San Francisco Chronicle. Happy ending, but possibly, just possibly, this was a case of chrome saving a life! So bling on everybody -- it's all about being safe (kinda)!! :wink:

Injured motorcyclist spotted from air
Family finds man after renting copter to search for him

A Suisun man who lay helpless in thick vegetation for nearly two days after crashing his motorcycle and breaking his legs was spotted by a helicopter and rescued on Wednesday in rural Solano County, authorities said.

Frederick Hinds, 46, was spotted by his sister, Gail, a passenger in a helicopter hired by his employer to look for him.

Hinds apparently lost control of his motorcycle Monday night on a bend in the road on Highway 12 near Denverton Road, west of Rio Vista. He landed near a creek in tall tule reeds and was not visible to police and the California Highway Patrol, who had searched the area earlier, the Highway Patrol said.

On Wednesday afternoon, a helicopter chartered from Wine Country Helicopters of Napa went aloft with Hinds' sister and two other family members.

After flying for about 30 minutes at an elevation of about 250 feet, the victim's sister spotted a glint of metal around 1 p.m. through thick black reeds and alerted the helicopter pilot, Wayne Lackey.

"When we got lower, the wind from the helicopter blew the reeds back so we could see the motorcycle down there,'' Lackey said. "Those reeds were very tall and it was really difficult to see anything. He was very, very lucky that we found him.''

Lackey landed the helicopter and the family members called out to Hinds, who had managed to crawl about 30 feet from the creek to a bridge. Hinds was in considerable pain, Lackey said, but seemed responsive, alert and eager to go home.

"It was a great, wonderful feeling to find him,'' Lackey said. "Everybody was hugging and kissing. Most of the time, searches like this don't have such good results.''

While the rescuers were waiting for paramedics to arrive, Lackey leaned over to Hinds and handed him a $10 bill.

"I told him to go buy some lottery tickets because today was his lucky day,'' the pilot said.

Hinds was being treated at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Maybe it was his gold toof.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehehe -- Yep; that's a possibility too(f).

G

·
This highlights an effort I have been making to get someone to create a crash activated emergency beacon for bikes. They have them on aircraft, and also on boats ( water activated ).

I have written letters, drawn up plans, went so far as to apply for a US Patent ( still pending ) for modifications to an existing device to make it motorcycle useable. The issue that comes back is " what if a guy just drops his bike while jockeying it around in a parking lot. ". Well I got past THAT issue easy enough.

He's lucky, he was found ALIVE.

Many bikers, run off the road in curves on stretches of road and are not found alive. Some sort of crash beacon could summon help at time of the accident. Out here where I live all the roads are unlit, I am in the habit of stopping when I see skid marks leadng off the road to see if someone crashed. Found a truck once, the guy was OK.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
....well I'm stunned......we all said no to tank trim! 8)

G

·
black hills said:
The only issue with that one is YOU have to activate it.

I have an older beacon that is similar from my boat - it has to either hit water or be manually activated.

It's better than nothing, and a hell of a lot better than laying there for days.

Of course if you are conscious and can activate the locater beacon you can also use your cell phone. ( if in service area ) Man things are a lot nicer today than back in the 1970's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts