Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is most of the "chrome" on the bike plastic :?: I just sold a 2004 VLX 600 Delux and everything that looked like chrome really was.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
It's neither plastic nor chrome, its.....
plastichrome
:lol: :lol:

G

·
it does scratch really easy though...so be careful

1300 Plastic Chrome parts:

Headlight Housing and Trim ring
Signal Light Bar (retro)
Side Covers (retro)
AirBox cover
Engine/Clutch Covers
Spark Plug Covers
Speedo Housing
Emblems

thats just off the top of my head

oh Front Fender is plastic on the Retros too, just not chromed

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
That plastic is my only complaint about the x . Lightweight wont rust and very cheesy and cheapo feeling. hopefully i'll be able to ditch it all sometime for the real stuff.
Got the same feelings about "plastic" chrome as i do "veggie" burgers.....no such thing

·
Registered
74 Posts
what the %@@

When you say you want to get the real stuff, what are you talking about. chrome is chrome wether it is on plastic steel or aluminum. Now if you mean you want to remove all your plastic and replace it with chromed steel or aluminum then I know what you are talking about , but you might as well buy a harley or a bike with all the extra weight already added. Why do you think you can buy the vtx at the price you did and a harley cost what they do??? Plastic vs. steel/aluminum. plastic is cheaper.

My personal preference is to paint most of the chromed plastic on my bike , But then I am not a CHROMOsexual :twisted: .

chrome don't get you home.

slacker john

·
Registered
431 Posts
From other discussions's on this subject, It was Honda's way to keep the cost down , so you get the $20,000 bling look , for under $10,000 , works for me! The first thing the guy's I work with said about my bike when they saw it was("How much ya got into all the extra chrome") :shock: :lol:
And i am sure weight was a factor to, the beast is heavy enough!

Drive safe:

X-treme-X

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yea, I don't think the plastic has anything to do with weight..but it's a good excuse. Definitely about cost. Which is fine. I just wish they offered alternatives. Plastichrome is the worst.

G

·
Well I guess I cant complain, I'm not a chrome whore at all.

I've added a heck of a lot more non-metal accessories to my ride than Honda did at the Factory :oops: If my add-ons were all metal, my X would probably weigh in at 1000lbs

Some of todays most high tech sports cars/bikes are mostly polymer plastics, abs, fiberglass, and carbon fiber so I say metal schmettle. If it goes fast and lasts without corrosion and fatique, and is cheaper to produce...its not all bad :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.