Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to drop all my chrome parts at powder coat and they can't sand blast them at a reasonable price, they want the chrome chemically stripped before they will coat.

anyone know of any chrome/chemical strippers in the LA area? not having any luck on google. not really surprising with all the EPA regulations here.

any help please.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
google isn't giving much,, I've called a dozen plating places, none of them strip.. might end up doing it myself, not looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was looking for chrome stripping here in Long Island NY, all the powder coating places I called said something about it not being legal to do (not sure how true it is) here. Apparently there are some issues with getting chrome chemically stripped...

I'm looking forward to answers you get, because I may want to eventually ceramic coat my exhaust.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
851 Posts
why do they require chemical removal?
will they accept the items if they're primed? you could sand and prime the pieces, then they won't know they're chromed.

how large are the pieces you're looking to powder coat? it's not a very difficult DIY. in fact, it's easier than trying to paint the pieces yourself. you can use an old electric oven to powder coat (because you wouldn't want to put food in there after the off gassing).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why do they require chemical removal?
will they accept the items if they're primed? you could sand and prime the pieces, then they won't know they're chromed.

how large are the pieces you're looking to powder coat? it's not a very difficult DIY. in fact, it's easier than trying to paint the pieces yourself. you can use an old electric oven to powder coat (because you wouldn't want to put food in there after the off gassing).
I have 30 + pieces, some small some large (bolt covers to fender struts) they can sand blast them for me, but it is very expensive, one fender strut took 50 minutes to complete and that is $100/hr. rate. They won't PC over the chrome as they can't guaranty it will stick or last and they offer a lifetime re-PC guaranty if it chips or peels. $300 to PC all the parts if they are chemically stripped, hourly rate if they have to sand blast them. I've had 2 shops tell me the same thing.

chemical stripping will be a lot cheaper. The PC shop said it should be about $250 for all the parts. they gave me a list of shops today they think can do it, I called all of them and only 1 of the shops said it was not problem after I texted them images of the parts, but they are a 2 hour drive away. seems to be my only choice.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i absolutely agree chemical strip will be cheaper if you're paying for the labor. i'm curious if you can remove the chrome yourself.
i built my own powder coating oven for smaller jobs, wheels and such. i sand down and prime chrome pieces all the time. i never have a problem with the powder coat sticking. i use ppg powders.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i absolutely agree chemical strip will be cheaper if you're paying for the labor. i'm curious if you can remove the chrome yourself.
i built my own powder coating oven for smaller jobs, wheels and such. i sand down and prime chrome pieces all the time. i never have a problem with the powder coat sticking. i use ppg powders.

I probably could if I had the patience or the time. which right now I don't. I just want it done. it has been nearly 3 months since the accident and my bike is just sitting waiting for all these parts to get done.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
no I am not and will not be a member there. plus it is a pretty dead site, not even sure why it still exists. doesn't appear to be many if any new posts since Aug 2021.
Too bad. Your loss.

BTW, check again. It seems you have been lurking - - -

Also, Big Larry is keeping it alive, I believe, in respect for FastLaneKen, the originator of the site. Ya' gotta respect that. Ken's been gone a long time.

For the chem stripping, find someone in Tijuana. There are a lot of places. That's what Big Larry would tell ya'. He'd probably give ya' names, phone numbers (US numbers), and recommendations.

No charge for middle-man duty.

Joe T.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too bad. Your loss.

BTW, check again. It seems you have been lurking - - -

Also, Big Larry is keeping it alive, I believe, in respect for FastLaneKen, the originator of the site. Ya' gotta respect that. Ken's been gone a long time.

For the chem stripping, find someone in Tijuana. There are a lot of places. That's what Big Larry would tell ya'. He'd probably give ya' names, phone numbers (US numbers), and recommendations.

No charge for middle-man duty.

Joe T.

nice of BigLry, whom I have no issue with.

no loss as far as I am concerned. I had issues with several members there back in 2005-2006 when I was going through custody issues with my EX, and the members there just $hit all over me when I was trying to sell my VTX and other things to pay for the custody attorneys, it wasn't pretty and it was very disrespectful.

• Wow
Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
I Ride
87 Posts
I probably could if I had the patience or the time. which right now I don't. I just want it done. it has been nearly 3 months since the accident and my bike is just sitting waiting for all these parts to get done.
If you were over here near me I would do it for you where I work at right now. PC and all. I don't do the stripping, one of the other guys handles all those details, but I can do the coating. Wouldn't cost you anything. Of course none of that matters since you are way over there. I just did wheels for a Triumph Bonneville I used to have and now are going to sell them. I need to get all the parts done I can since I got a job offer that is going to be impossible to turn down...

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you were over here near me I would do it for you where I work at right now. PC and all. I don't do the stripping, one of the other guys handles all those details, but I can do the coating. Wouldn't cost you anything. Of course none of that matters since you are way over there. I just did wheels for a Triumph Bonneville I used to have and now are going to sell them. I need to get all the parts done I can since I got a job offer that is going to be impossible to turn down...
where is here? I got no issue shipping the parts and paying the shipping back, probably cheaper than what this whole thing will cost me locally.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
I Ride
87 Posts
where is here? I got no issue shipping the parts and paying the shipping back, probably cheaper than what this whole thing will cost me locally.
I'm over by Ft Bragg, NC. I'm going to be leaving this job faster than I originally thought now. If that changes I will let you know.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found a place in Boyle Heights. Acid dipped then tumbled.

61 parts ready for powder coating

Automotive tire Hand tool Tool Wood Font

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.