Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New VTX owner here. Picked up a 2002 1800C that has been sitting for a while. Have the gas tank removed, drained old gas, and about to run rust remover through it. Question is what’s the best way to plug the hole where the fuel pump mounts? I would think sloshing rust remover around in the tank with fuel pump installed would not be a good idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Put some bolts and nuts, along with a pint of diesel fuel. Shake and shake it for a while, then let it rest. One hour later do it again, the pour out the contents. After it dries out look to see how clean it is. You might have to do it 2 or 3 more times, but it will come really clean.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Put some bolts and nuts, along with a pint of diesel fuel. Shake and shake it for a while, then let it rest. One hour later do it again, the pour out the contents. After it dries out look to see how clean it is. You might have to do it 2 or 3 more times, but it will come really clean.
this is a great idea... I will use this in the future.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Due to the internal setup and shape of the tank, you can't remove the rust everywhere this way...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a metal plate to plug it.
I cut out a template from a milk jug, added some bearing grease to make a seal, then cut two templates from 1/4” luan and bolt them tight. Will see how it goes, problem now is weather, needs to be above 65 for Evaporust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Research KBS coatings, they have rust removers and a permanent coating that seals the inside of the tank. I've done my 1800 4 years ago and have had no problems since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts