Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my ride used and the previous owner was not much for keep things nice and shiny. Do any of you guys have a suggestion for cleaning the aluminum wheels on a VTX Retro? These wheels are almost black from God knows what. Thanks. :doorag:

·
Super Moderator
64,142 Posts
Mothers billet polish and one of those Power Cone attachments for your drill will help make it somewhat easier. But, with them being that far gone, you might have to go with wet sanding first

·
Registered
375 Posts
I used the back side of a kitchen sponge. You know the green side. I used it with soap and water and it came so clean. I tried Mothers cuz everyone on here said so. I even bought the little attachment to the drill. Didn't do much for mine so I just reverted to good old hard work and put some elbow grease into it!!:p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of the green sponge or a fine steel wool. What is this cone attachment you mentioned?

·
Registered
375 Posts
cone attachment..

It looks like a little round red ball with an attachment for a drill. That way when you press the drill button the little red ball turns in circles and so called polishes your wheels. I didn't have much luck with mine, therefore I used a sponge.:agree:

·
Registered
524 Posts
elbow grease and alot of it,plus the Mothers Billet polish:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
I was thinking of the green sponge or a fine steel wool. What is this cone attachment you mentioned?
Mothers aluminum polish works or if you can fine White diamond polish. +1:thumbup:

If you use steel wool. Get the very very fine stuff from Lowe's or Home depot.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I used some OOOO steel wool and soap and water to clean them. Then polished them with the minnie power ball and White Diamonds polish. They now look almost like chrome. White Diamond is the easiest and best polish I've used. You can get it at local truckstops. I've polished many truck wheels this way also it works. The stuff that Lowes sells is Diamond Brite and it doesn't work to good. Some people will tell you it's the same but it's not. Mothers work good also. [WHITE DIAMONDS]

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can get the White Diamonds at Love's or TA truck stops for about 12 bucks. I just used it this weekend and am not too impressed. I like Mothers better. The White Diamond has little grains in it and kept clogging the hole that it squirts out of and I had to constantly shake it to the point of it being ridiculous. I also did not notice a better shine than Mothers. I dunno? I will give it another go but am sofar not too impressed. I used the polishing ball for both.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I used comet and a scotch brite pad, just be sure and rinse often since when it dries that comet is like cement in those little grooves. worked great for me. good luck.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have used Mothers, White Diamonds and Megulars Hot Rims. For me, I like the Hot Rims the best. White Diamonds did a good job but it is a little "watery" to me and it likes to sling around with the power ball. I really like the Hot Rims the best. It is more of a paste and does an escellent job for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have used Mothers, White Diamonds and Megulars Hot Rims. For me, I like the Hot Rims the best. White Diamonds did a good job but it is a little "watery" to me and it likes to sling around with the power ball. I really like the Hot Rims the best. It is more of a paste and does an escellent job for me.
+1 on the Hot Rims, I used it with #0000 steel wool to clean mine.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I use a product called blue magic I get it at wal mart and the mini powerball it works great and only takes about 30 minutes to do both wheels. makes them look like new.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts