Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can irrideum plugs be cleaned, iplan on checking them tommorrow,and if i remember the torque for resetting them is 13 ft lbs.

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
You can dip them in kerosene but no brushing. You'll snap that pencil thin electrode right off if you try. How many miles on them? 8,000 is the recommended mileage to change. 8)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
You can dip them in kerosene but no brushing. You'll snap that pencil thin electrode right off if you try.
Pshaw! I take them out every 100 miles, dip them in denatured alcohol (man that's a good solvent) and brush them with a brass brush.

Clean up like new every time with nary a break or misfire.

·
Super Moderator
63,767 Posts
The neutered alcyhol is what I meant, thanks. Continued luck on the cleaning with a brush too. I just replace them not worth the risk of having it snap off inside the engine, IMO. 8)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
I just replace them not worth the risk of having it snap off inside the engine, IMO. 8)
Keeping an eye on them by mic'ing them each time they're out and comparing against the baseline of a new electrode. When they wear, they're gone -- got a spare set standing by.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i brushed mine w/a brass brush also. just do it carefully and not very harsh-thiking now maybe a hard bristled tooth brush and some alcohol or kerosene would have worked too...
about 13K on mine 1st time i checked and they looked good and gap was .039(i think spec is within .038-.044) 14,300 now and no probs

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not supposed to even touch the ends. The iridium is a coating and will come off if you brush them.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plugs

pulled them today they were a little black on the ring part of the blug but pretty much the golden brown on the elctrode,so i just used an alcokol based cleaner and a soft brush,fired her up runs the same (fine) but at least i know the plugs and fuel & air mix is good,i don't think i would recomend using a stiff brush like some of the guys mentioned,but thanks like always for the input

·
Registered
316 Posts
otcpharm said:
hankstered said:
Not supposed to even touch the ends. The iridium is a coating and will come off if you brush them.
Um...no. It's an alloy tip that's attached to the electrode.
page 101 owners manual..This motorcycle uses spark plugs that have an iridium coated center electrode.
Be sure to observe the following when servicing the spark plugs.

Do not clean the plugs. If an electrode is contaminated with accumulated objects or dirt, replace with a new one.

Well you can read the rest. page 101 of your owners manual. It's a coating or maybe a misprint. My bike came with NGK.
Denso says it's iridium and doesn't mention a coating but they also do not recomend touching the electrode or porcelain.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hankstered said:
page 101 owners manual..This motorcycle uses spark plugs that have an iridium coated center electrode.

Do not clean the plugs. If an electrode is contaminated with accumulated objects or dirt, replace with a new one.

Well you can read the rest. page 101 of your owners manual. It's a coating or maybe a misprint. My bike came with NGK.
Denso says it's iridium and doesn't mention a coating but they also do not recomend touching the electrode or porcelain.
OK, pretend you're the manufacturer.

You think to yourself, "hmm, automobile spark plugs in the old days were good for 30K miles. Now they're good for up to 100K. That just won't do for motorcyles - after all, we need to make a profit and there aren't enough sold (unlike cars) to sufficiently pad the old wallet."

What to do? AHA!! "We'll just tell them that they have to replace them every 8K miles, and if they so much as BREATHE on the electrode, the miraculously micro-thin coating of iridium will come of and the plug will cause the bike to melt down or explode into a million pieces while they're riding it, possibly killing them."

Horse-feathers.

Remember that automobile manufacturers said for years that you HAD to change your oil every 3K miles, OR ELSE (and now they're saying 7500+ is OK, while in Europe they're doing 20K+ on a change with 100K+ mile vehicles). And that was in the owner's manual too...

·
Registered
679 Posts
You guys should do more riding and less worrying about how your plugs look.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote from otcpharm above..
Pshaw! I take them out every 100 miles, dip them in denatured alcohol (man that's a good solvent) and brush them with a brass brush.

Aren't you worried about wearing your holes out? They are aluminum, aren't they?

·
Registered
316 Posts
otcpharm said:
hankstered said:

OK, pretend you're the manufacturer.

You think to yourself, "hmm, automobile spark plugs in the old days were good for 30K miles. Now they're good for up to 100K. That just won't do for motorcyles - after all, we need to make a profit and there aren't enough sold (unlike cars) to sufficiently pad the old wallet."

What to do? AHA!! "We'll just tell them that they have to replace them every 8K miles, and if they so much as BREATHE on the electrode, the miraculously micro-thin coating of iridium will come of and the plug will cause the bike to melt down or explode into a million pieces while they're riding it, possibly killing them."

Horse-feathers.

Remember that automobile manufacturers said for years that you HAD to change your oil every 3K miles, OR ELSE (and now they're saying 7500+ is OK, while in Europe they're doing 20K+ on a change with 100K+ mile vehicles). And that was in the owner's manual too...
Hey I'm not saying don't do it. If you want to brush them with a metal brush go ahead I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
316 Posts
roadrage said:
You guys should do more riding and less worrying about how your plugs look.
Agreed!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Neovtxxtreme I was thinking of doing the same thing to my rear fender.What brand of paint did you use to match the color?All I could find was color rite and haven't heard anything good about that brand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts