Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
its clear paint over polished aluminum...

the clear is breaking down... and causing the aluminum to oxidize .

its called AGING

·
Registered
389 Posts
Parts on the bike. I took wet/dry sandpaper to it to remove the clear and heavy oxidation. 400 and up?? I can't remember. Then I use typical off the shelf automotive aluminum cleaner. One is a blue paste and the other is in a silver, tin can. Your tear a piece of material off with the tin can product that is impregnated with some kind of chemical and wipe it on. Old school stuff but it worked well on Harleys so it ought to work on Hondas. :smile2: I've never used an electric polisher on my bike. Just by hand and it's always been good enough for me. Opinions will vary.

I'll post up what I use tomorrow. Someone that knows sandpaper can fill you in on the correct grits to use and/or their technique for achieving your goal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonderful Lee! Thanks! I think the silver can stuff is never dull. Just bought some yesterday before reading this. I will wait for the sandpaper grit and procedure before proceeding.
There was a small leather bag strapped to the forks under the headlight that I removed. Wonder if that caused this as it is nowhere else on the bike.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
there are many posts here on polishing ( restoring ) aluminum....

wheels, fork braces, cylinder fins.. etc.

lots of work...

I start with 800 grit.. and go up to 2,000 grit. then white Diamond polish.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
the more you do it.. the better it will get..

and the reason many do not "PAY" someone.. takes lots of work/time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a retired mechanic, said he will change break, clutch fluid, polish with wet sandpaper and aluminum polish with wheel, for between 150 to 200. All day job to to it right he says. Sounds damn good to me! Maybe request to see pics of his prior work on polishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts