Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy that is painting my bike is having it all clear-coated for about $1,000. Does that sound right?? Do any of you know of any places that are less expensive in teh area??

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
That does sound fairly high to me but I have never had just clear shot.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Agree also unless he is putting on a ton of coats and buffing between for a show finish that seems pretty high.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Why isn't the guy painting your bike clear coating it? I've never heard of a painter outsorceing a clearcoat job. And the price is pretty outrageous for
just clearing some tins!

JMO...................Nick

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
They guy that has them now is doing the airbrush artwork. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the facilities to spray with anything other than an airbrush.

·
Registered
819 Posts
ahh...i see, so you win the bid for the airbrushing and the clear coat is extra? how convenient....lets see...only $200 for the artwork, then clear coat must be $1400.... ohh, $600 for the artwork, then clear is $1000.... i get it now ;) yer paying full price one way or the other. :?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bluto said:
They guy that has them now is doing the airbrush artwork. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the facilities to spray with anything other than an airbrush.
Exactly right Bluto....he is just the airbrush artist. He say the clear coater will be putting on about 3-4 coats of clear coat....not sure if that is normal or not....

What's happening.....I won this paint job/artwork at a charity auction for a really great price....and I offered to help pay some of the cost of the clear coating for him...he originally figured that the clear coat would be $200-$300...i figured I could eat that.....but then he tells me it's $1,000....and I just about s#!t.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Git 'R Done said:
bluto said:
Exactly right Bluto....he is just the airbrush artist. He say the clear coater will be putting on about 3-4 coats of clear coat....not sure if that is normal or not....

What's happening.....I won this paint job/artwork at a charity auction for a really great price....and I offered to help pay some of the cost of the clear coating for him...he originally figured that the clear coat would be $200-$300...i figured I could eat that.....but then he tells me it's $1,000....and I just about s#!t.
Repeat after me Virginia:

"Nothing is free... Nothing is free... Nothing is free......."

·
Registered
819 Posts
here is a set of tins, stretched and painted for $1,400....that includes the TINS!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=38664

I have seen auctions where you send the tins in and they paint & 4-5 coats of clear for less than $1000 for everything...

just spoke to my brother....he has been doing bodywork for 30 years... he said he seldom does more then 2 or 3 coats of clear and if he did it you would be looking at about $300.

mike

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.....I just called Alcalde Customs http://www.alcaldecustoms.com and he said he would do it for about $500-$600, including wet sanding and buffing the finished product.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I'd hate to see your bike off-line for another three months waiting on the clear coat. :cry:

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talked to Alcalde Customs again....he said getting the tins in for clear coat only doesn't require me waiting....he said it should take about 3-4 days from drop off to pick up.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Good GOD
Get those to me off the bike & I'll get it done for half the 1000 and in less than a week.
I don't know where you're at - but it might be worth the drive

Scott

1 - 17 of 17 Posts