Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the Clearalternatives tail light and turn signal lenses for my '02 R. They look great but the red light on the tail light gets washed out in the sun. Does anyone know which is the brightest RED LED that is manufactured for the R?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
tcbaker said:
Just bought the Clearalternatives tail light and turn signal lenses for my '02 R. They look great but the red light on the tail light gets washed out in the sun. Does anyone know which is the brightest RED LED that is manufactured for the R?
I installed a LED after the clear lens and there isn't enough light especially during the daylight hours. I went back to a red bulb and now I get all-around light. The LED's are too directional ( like little flashlights) so unless your right behind them thier usless in my opinion.

Don

·
Super Moderator
63,857 Posts
Just curious Don, what kind of LED did you try? If you haven't seen the 128LED board with the clear lens, it is much brighter than any stock or halogen lamp. It also floods my entire garage with red light so not so directional. 8)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just replaced my lenses also but used the red bulb until the new LED comes in spike refered to. I also went on a ride following another X with the 128 LED light. I paid attention out of curiosity how the light could be seen at different angles. It works great. It's expensive but I rather pay the extra bucks then have another vehicle ride up my backside. :)

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Or you can install two sets of those 128 LED units in custom turnsignal
units. Expensive, but highly recommended.

March 2005 rear EMGO helmet box and custom turnsignals on LeatherLyke bags

taillights on nighttime

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stumpy said:
You can also get that LED with built in turn signals.
Hey Stumpy. I don't think I've seen those. Do you have a link?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Spike,

I just used the LED bulb and not the board, was very dissapointed. This new board seems to throw some light.

Don

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This is a Radiantz Sidemount. Which I also had the option of wiring so the arrows on left and right are turnsignals and the circle in the middle is the brake light. I choose to wire the whole thing as a brake light because of my existing amber led turnsignals with clear lenses. The sidemount also came with a clear lens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I will get the 128 LED assy'. If it floods your garage the puppy should be able to be seen in the light.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I built my own version of the 128 LED job....but I left the stock lens on...works just as well as a buddy of mine - who's got the 128 deal...Actually when I built mine, I used still brighter LEDs...so now they're blindingly bright.

Did the same for the turn signals all the way around...was followed one night by another friend of mine...he told me he was seeing yellow spots long after I shut it off...

Decided to build 'em myself to occupy my time during the winter....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts