Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When taking off in 1st from a stop light/sign, my bike goes cluclunk ahen I let the clutch out all the way. Sounds like the left sid front to me, but that could be wrong.
Anyone have any experiance with this?

Oh yeah, and you know thoes old rotory telephones? Well when I get on the throttle (hard) my bike sounds like one of thoes phones ringing. I run Standard octain (I think the number is 87 (the lowest available)) and It's fine under light acceleration.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

P.S. Mabey all of this is normal but I know that when i'm in a car... if these noises are heard, there's trouble! Not to mension they bug me!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Scott

I've said this many times before here.
If you really think there's a mechanical problem, take it to a qualified mechanic and have it checked out. It may be nothing, it may be something, but there is just no way to correctly diagnose a "noise" when you can't hear it. Any advice given here should be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes it's a known problem, and can be dealt with, but the noises you're talking about don't sound "normal" to me.

Don't risk it. Take it to a qualified mechanic, and have it looked at.
Generally, a good mechanic will at least listen to it, and tell you if it needs further investigation without charge. It's well worth the money spent!

As to the advise to run higher octane gas: This is a low compression engine (9:1) it absolutely does NOT need higher octane gas. This has been discussed to death here, with all kinds of supportive documents, and articles about how octane works. You gain NOTHING from higher octane gas, and in fact it can damage your engine. (the first thing you'll notice from it is that engine will run hotter. That's a sure sign that all is not well).

That's all I have to say on this one.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
VTX-Ryder said:
Scott

I've said this many times before here.
If you really think there's a mechanical problem, take it to a qualified mechanic and have it checked out. It may be nothing, it may be something, but there is just no way to correctly diagnose a "noise" when you can't hear it. Any advice given here should be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes it's a known problem, and can be dealt with, but the noises you're talking about don't sound "normal" to me.

Don't risk it. Take it to a qualified mechanic, and have it looked at.
Generally, a good mechanic will at least listen to it, and tell you if it needs further investigation without charge. It's well worth the money spent!

As to the advise to run higher octane gas: This is a low compression engine (9:1) it absolutely does NOT need higher octane gas. This has been discussed to death here, with all kinds of supportive documents, and articles about how octane works. You gain NOTHING from higher octane gas, and in fact it can damage your engine. (the first thing you'll notice from it is that engine will run hotter. That's a sure sign that all is not well).

That's all I have to say on this one.
Yup, what Ric said. :wink:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Your engine has a carb. It does not adust for temps, fuel quality, altitude, etc., like fuel injection. Every engine that comes from the factory is different. Different areas have different amounts of alcohol and other chems in the gas. If your engine pings or has the ping vibration go to a higher octane. Honda's recommendation for 87 octane is based on a non-existant example of the bike which would be engineering perfection and impossible to attain in real life. If you believe everything you see in the manual you would be shifting to 5th at 30 mph.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, will bring it by a mechanic tommoro to make sure its all normal.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
scott051300 said:
thanks everyone, will bring it by a mechanic tommoro to make sure its all normal.
Best possible choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
The clu clunk you are hearing is your trany going the rest of the way into gear. I got mine to do it today, didn't shift hard enough and hit the throttle a little sooner than normal. To eliminate the problem make sure of your shift before you let the clutch out. That should take care of your noises.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts