Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed all new braided lines today along with the clutch cable. Thats when my trouble started. It doesnt spring back like before now. When I squeeze the clutch now it stays where I left it. Everything was hooked back like before so I dont see the problem. Anyone else know what might have went wrong here? :x

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Oilcan said:
I installed all new braided lines today along with the clutch cable. Thats when my trouble started. It doesnt spring back like before now. When I squeeze the clutch now it stays where I left it. Everything was hooked back like before so I dont see the problem. Anyone else know what might have went wrong here? :x

Gotta be in the adjustment of it, I would think you don't have it tightened down. When you squeeze it can you put it in gear (running)?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I adjusted it all the way both ways and the lever just isnt springing back for some reason. The spring on the bottom is still hooked up I checked for that. I'm stumped! :?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Did you try putting it in gear while running? Are you sure you have the right cable? Try matching the cable up with your stock, pull the cable all the way to one end of the cable housing and see if your new cable has more cable coming out of the housing then the stock, if so then I'd say it's not the right one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It still has the same travel and it is the correct cable. I can pull the clutch and the arm on the crankcase housing moves as it should but it just doesnt move back or pull the lever back as it should. Its almost as if I didnt have the spring on clutch lever done on the crankcase but its there. I also installed new levers. Maybe its got too much drag in the bushings of the new levers. I think I'll try to put on the old levers and see what happens unless someone has any other ideas as to what it could be? :?

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Oilcan said:
It still has the same travel and it is the correct cable. I can pull the clutch and the arm on the crankcase housing moves as it should but it just doesnt move back or pull the lever back as it should. Its almost as if I didnt have the spring on clutch lever done on the crankcase but its there. I also installed new levers. Maybe its got too much drag in the bushings of the new levers. I think I'll try to put on the old levers and see what happens unless someone has any other ideas as to what it could be? :?
Please keep us (at least me anyways :wink: ) informed on this, I'm interested.

I just installed braided cables yesterday (stock levers) and even though the clutch cable said it was the right one I had to modify both ends to get them to fit but all is well. Try taking the cable out of the lever and see if it moves freely, if so then remove the cable from the clutch end and pull it, does it spring back by its self? Then I would look that the cable. Maybe a kink in it?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just a thought

Honda factory cables are teflon lined. SLICK inside. Are the braided ones teflon lined? If not, you might need to lube them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts