Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to feel very light slippage (particularly between 3rd and 4th gear) when riding a little harder than usual.
Although its not a major issue I'd rather change it sooner rather than later.
That being said, I'm looking at getting the complete Barnett clutch kit + I already got the stronger bolts from Goheen Cycles.
Given my day to day riding I wanted to know if Barnett is the best option. I don't race, do burn outs and all that other shenanigans but I do have the occasional need for speed on long rides.
I typically log approximately 12 to 15K miles a season.

Based on that does anyone have any recommendations as to what my best choice will be?

·
Premium Member
3,870 Posts
Clutch slipping is a pretty common problem on the 1800s. In fact I believe all 1800 clutches slip some even when the bikes were new. Like you, I don't ride too agressively and I am still on the factory clutch at 48k miles. MTC seems to be the most popular replcement clutch here for the 1800, but I know people have also used Barnett clutch kits and were happy with it. I think the kind of springs used with the new clutch is probably what makes all the difference. Others that have replaced their clutch will chime in with more information.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
I am still on the original clutch on my 2003 1800s after 103,000 miles. Is this something I should do preventative maintenance on, or will I notice 'some slippage' first allowing me plenty of time to get it replaced?
I basically have the same question about the fuel pressure regulator, also still with the original.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you are not racing I would get the Barnett clutch kit. The MTC is probably stronger but it sticks so you have to break it loose before you start the bike or it will jump on you when you put it in gear. The sticking is a pain in the ass. Under even extreme riding you will find people on here who have had great luck with the Barnett good luck

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
henkdvb, if your question regarding FPR is for real; yes. change it. Cheap, easy insurance. They have failed sporadically and unpredictably for years. Failure floods engine with fuel.

Reactions: StarrRider

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Note: This fuel pressure regulator is external and only on the earlier bikes that had the fuel pump in the tank. '02 - '04 ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the sticking of an MTC clutch on startup that big of a thing? I've just put one in, and I haven't experienced it yet. I do start the bike before putting on my helmet, gloves, etc, so maybe it sits running for 1-2 minutes before I put it into gear. Is my experience unique, or is the sticking a little over-hyped?

Steve

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is the sticking of an MTC clutch on startup that big of a thing? I've just put one in, and I haven't experienced it yet. I do start the bike before putting on my helmet, gloves, etc, so maybe it sits running for 1-2 minutes before I put it into gear. Is my experience unique, or is the sticking a little over-hyped?

Steve
Mine sticks if it sits for more than a day. Its easy to break loose but if you forget and dont have a hold of the brake it will jump on you when you put it in gear. Oil and the springs you use could be the difference. I guess my point was there is nothing wrong with a Barnett or MTC clutch and wanted the OP to know that many people that have the MTC clutch have experienced sticking

·
Registered
237 Posts
Years ago, when mine 1st started to slip, my clutch pack all still looked good. I upgraded the springs only with Barnett springs and that solved my problem. Just a thought...

- stevie

Reactions: schnitz

·
Registered
397 Posts
I put an MTC clutch kit and mine about 4 years ago. They worked out really well I would recommend at least putting .50 shims in there though cuz it will still slip if you're in high gear and try to punch it. Never had a sticking problem because I work the clutch about 15 times during warm-up.

Reactions: fastspek
1 - 10 of 10 Posts