Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some thoughts... I have noticed in the last 2k or so miles that my bike seems to idle a little rougher than I recall. Not that the bike was quiet or docile before but it just seems to be a little harsher. There also seems to be a noise coming from the bike like a tapping. Not too loud and you have to listen for it but it is there. It doesn't vary at all except when I roll on the throttle it seems to tap faster. Noise is also there when the bike is in neutral. Have not adjusted the valves yet :oops: but I am not sure if the yet to be adjusted valves would make this kind of noise.

Bike still performs fine although my threshold on the clutch is nearly at the end of its travel (considering a clutch swap this winter). Any thoughts on what the noise might be would be appreciated. If I can do something about it when I am looking at the clutch I will look into it.

2002 1800C with 32k miles.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Looking for some thoughts... I have noticed in the last 2k or so miles that my bike seems to idle a little rougher than I recall. Not that the bike was quiet or docile before but it just seems to be a little harsher. There also seems to be a noise coming from the bike like a tapping. Not too loud and you have to listen for it but it is there. It doesn't vary at all except when I roll on the throttle it seems to tap faster. Noise is also there when the bike is in neutral. Have not adjusted the valves yet :oops: but I am not sure if the yet to be adjusted valves would make this kind of noise.

Bike still performs fine although my threshold on the clutch is nearly at the end of its travel (considering a clutch swap this winter). Any thoughts on what the noise might be would be appreciated. If I can do something about it when I am looking at the clutch I will look into it.

sounds like valves to me. You are supposed to be able to hear them. Its when you dont, that you should worry. If they have never been adjusted before, you should probably adjust them.
http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=20034

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a similar tapping noise that increases in volume with a hot engine. If I put my right leg tight against the fuel tank the tapping disappears:shock:. If I just put my hand between the top of the stock air box and the fuel tank the tapping disappears:yikes:. I think in my case the noise is coming from the fuel injector system.
I have done adjusted the valves 3 times and used seafoam a couple of times and the clicking continues:dontknow:. I think a very small piece of sponge between the air box and the fuel tank would block the tapping noise:idea:.
I am going to try it and bet it worksnojoke

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have a similar tapping noise that increases in volume with a hot engine. If I put my right leg tight against the fuel tank the tapping disappears:shock:. If I just put my hand between the top of the stock air box and the fuel tank the tapping disappears:yikes:. I think in my case the noise is coming from the fuel injector system.
I have done adjusted the valves 3 times and used seafoam a couple of times and the clicking continues:dontknow:. I think a very small piece of sponge between the air box and the fuel tank would block the tapping noise:idea:.
I am going to try it and bet it worksnojoke
Since I cut the back of the airbox off to make room for the Stebel horn I've noticed alot more injector noise. And like you if I pull my right leg in tight against the tank I don't hear it.

So I think you're right on the money.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Well being the valves should have been adjusted at 8k miles... ya prolly fried the engine... good luck :joke:

You should hear some tapping, as others said in the past, kinda like a sewing machine & don't be surprised if the tapping gets louder after valve adjusting.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Since I cut the back of the airbox off to make room for the Stebel horn I've noticed alot more injector noise. And like you if I pull my right leg in tight against the tank I don't hear it.

Yep and I removed the air box snorkel per Biglry's par valve removal page:agree::thumbup:

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
These Damn Honda's and there Noise :yikes::cool:

·
Registered
662 Posts
yup. a healthy bike is supposed to sound like a pissed off sewing machine...

·
Registered
735 Posts

Hi marang...I found a piece of black foam rubber pipe insulation that I purchased from Home Depot a while back. It was for 3/4" copper pipe. I cut a tapered strip (3/4" in middle) about 4" longer than the air box. I pushed it in between the top of box and bottom of tank. Presto-no more ticking noise:thumbup:
Probably a 1" weather stripping or similar stuck to tank bottom over air box would also work :idea:
Now I miss my ticking noise:dontknow::yikes:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Hi marang...I found a piece of black foam rubber pipe insulation that I purchased from Home Depot a while back. It was for 3/4" copper pipe. I cut a tapered strip (3/4" in middle) about 4" longer than the air box. I pushed it in between the top of box and bottom of tank. Presto-no more ticking noise:thumbup:
Probably a 1" weather stripping or similar stuck to tank bottom over air box would also work :idea:
Now I miss my ticking noise:dontknow::yikes:
Thank you sir, I'll give it a try.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts