Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am wondering if I should replace my motorcycle's clutch already.
It has 80K miles on its belly and it has pulled a 450 pound trailer for about 15k miles around the country.
I have noticed that when I lock the throttle, let say at 80 mph, the speed goes down gradually(running on a flat terrain) about 5 to 10 mph in a short time.
Also when I am trying to accelerate hard on 4th or 5th gear, I feel the revs going up but the bike takes too long to move on.
Should I replace the entire clutch or only the metal plates(I have not looked inside it yet). How about the springs?
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks ya'll.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Before going that route, maybe just change your oil? A good motorcycle only oil like Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W40 may just do the trick. If not, then I would look at new discs plates and springs.

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
The OEM springs were the problem.
Amazing that you have that many miles on it and now having the problem.
Most go with MTC or Barnett clutch kits.

http://www.mtceng.com/mtcproducts/products/clutches/other-products/steels-fibers > in Florida

Only small issue is some clutches stick a bit to the plates at cold start.

Mike the steels and check them for being flat.

Google this and you will see many threads> "vtxoa: 1800 clutch slipping"

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If the steel plates have any bluing on them that means they have gotten too hot and should be replaced.

If it were me I would replace the whole clutch setup.

Is that 80K miles on the original clutch??? If so, replace everything.

Keep us posted what you find and do.:thumbup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
My Shirley's clutch began slipping with only 40 thousand miles on her. I used a Barnett clutch kit (very difficult to get the MTC in the UK) I used the barnet springs (slightly longer and stronger) and friction plates But I used the original honda steels, I gave them a brush over with some emery paper where they were blued. The clutch is now well and truly sorted. At 80 000 miles I would replace the clutch but do check your steels before replacing. You will find a world of difference.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The OEM springs were the problem.
Amazing that you have that many miles on it and now having the problem.
Most go with MTC or Barnett clutch kits.

http://www.mtceng.com/mtcproducts/products/clutches/other-products/steels-fibers > in Florida

Only small issue is some clutches stick a bit to the plates at cold start.

Mike the steels and check them for being flat.

Google this and you will see many threads> "vtxoa: 1800 clutch slipping"
Yes some sticking of the MTC clutch plates at cold start but this will get better after 10,000 miles. Anyway no more clutch slipping:thumbup:

·
Registered
231 Posts
No slip with Barnet either and no sticking when cold.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No cold starts in South Florida!. Hot, hot, hot!!!

Before this issue I was able to start the engine in 1st gear with the clutch engaged.
I can't do that no more. I don't know if this is related to the clutch problem or if it is a sensor failure.

·
Registered
682 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts