Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone first time posting but have gotten a lot of useful tips from the forums.Now i have question hopefully someone can answer? I have a 2005 vtx 1300c which I love.Went out for about a 300 mile ride last summer stop at house for lunch parked the bike.After lunch jumped on the bike and no clutch lever right to the handle bars?? So the saga begins that was the last time the bike moved since then I have replaced everything clutch related and still no clutch it's acting like it's not disengaging but there's no more room for it to go in any farther it's about 3/8" off it seems on shaft if it would go on that much more the clutch would work? even been to dealer just to ask question's not to work on cause let's face it there really is nothing to this clutch so what the heck could this be? Internal tranny failure? eveything moves as it should.I'm really about to give up!!?!??

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Go at the opposite side of the bike n try to play w the clutch lifter arm if the push plate didn't move to release the spring pressure your problem is inside the clutch lifter arm

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
There is no internal transmission failure I am aware of that would in any way be reflected in not being able to disengage the clutch. Is the basket solid. The basket is riveted in and these have been known to fail.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
is the cable broken,,, the adjuster broken

the cable arm to shaft broken at the engine case.

clutch is always "LOCKED" until the cable and hand lever pulls the presure plate / springs away from the clutch discs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no internal transmission failure I am aware of that would in any way be reflected in not being able to disengage the clutch. Is the basket solid. The basket is riveted in and these have been known to fail.
Hey thanks for reply the 1300's basket is bolted on but I know what you mean the 1800's had rivets that failed and caused them not to disengage the basket is the only thing i have not replaced everything is new right down to clutch cable been scratching my head all winter on this

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is the cable broken,,, the adjuster broken

the cable arm to shaft broken at the engine case.

clutch is always "LOCKED" until the cable and hand lever pulls the presure plate / springs away from the clutch discs
Hey thanks for reply I checked that as well and it has new clutch cable and everything is working no broken parts it's almost like the pushrod is to short just doesn't push it out enough

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Hey thanks for reply the 1300's basket is bolted on but I know what you mean the 1800's had rivets that failed and caused them not to disengage the basket is the only thing i have not replaced everything is new right down to clutch cable been scratching my head all winter on this
Well, if you have about 1/8" free play in the lever, before you feel resistance, then the cable core is okay. The cable jacket, however must not collapse, so make sure the jacket is not damaged. As you said, if things are moving, you should be most of the way there. Tough to suppose from here, but I think it best to pull the cover on the left side and make sure everything there is moving as it should. Good luck. Hang in there, I think you're close.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go at the opposite side of the bike n try to play w the clutch lifter arm if the push plate didn't move to release the spring pressure your problem is inside the clutch lifter arm

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk
Hey thanks for your reply I had tried that it seems to be pushing the rod just not enough like you said doesn't move pressure plate

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
You have adjustment at the bottom of the cable. Loosen the nut on the end, about 1/2" , than pull the threaded part forward. If you pulled some slack out that was the problem. You may need to take more. Fine adjustment at the handlebar...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if you have about 1/8" free play in the lever, before you feel resistance, then the cable core is okay. The cable jacket, however must not collapse, so make sure the jacket is not damaged. As you said, if things are moving, you should be most of the way there. Tough to suppose from here, but I think it best to pull the cover on the left side and make sure everything there is moving as it should. Good luck. Hang in there, I think you're close.
Hey thanks Harkon this has been really frustrating i checked cable all is good brand even got clutch lever side apart and pulled out lifter arm small notch cut out that the push rod and cap set in could that be not pushing it out enough? didn't look like anything was off with it rod has been replaced as well a cap on end?

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Just spitballing here, but remove the clutch lever. Is the hole for the pin, round or oblong? This can wear out and change the geometry enough to affect total travel. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have adjustment at the bottom of the cable. Loosen the nut on the end, about 1/2" , than pull the threaded part forward. If you pulled some slack out that was the problem. You may need to take more. Fine adjustment at the handlebar...
Hi Hans thanks for your reply I'll give that a shot again it's as if there is no adjustment seem's like no matter what i do it just won't push that rod out if i hold the pressure plate by hand and manually move the the clutch lever i can get it to move hook it to cable nothing

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just spitballing here, but remove the clutch lever. Is the hole for the pin, round or oblong? This can wear out and change the geometry enough to affect total travel. Just thinking out loud here.
good point it is just a cut out the same shape as the end cap on rod pull the lever turns rod out goes pushrod i was thinking this as well i will have to take picture of it maybe something i'm not seeing

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
good point it is just a cut out the same shape as the end cap on rod pull the lever turns rod out goes pushrod i was thinking this as well i will have to take picture of it maybe something i'm not seeing
What about the hand lever, and the pivot pint there?

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
Did you replace clutch discs???I
Did you offset the last disc installed???
Did you add shims or washers???

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
my ADVICE...

start this over.

WHAT exactly have you done or replaced... this is jumping all over the map.

as you stated. its a simple system.... AND IT IS.
the 1300 clutch system is the basically same as most all Honda's cable systems.
since the 1960's.

why is the photo of the clutch area... so DRY ???

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my ADVICE...

start this over.

WHAT exactly have you done or replaced... this is jumping all over the map.

as you stated. its a simple system.... AND IT IS.
the 1300 clutch system is the basically same as most all Honda's cable systems.
since the 1960's.

why is the photo of the clutch area... so DRY ???
I have replaced all clutch discs and plates all oem replaced rubber dampeners push rod and both end pieces replaced bearing on pressure plate replaced and new clutch cable and the clutch area is dry looking because this has been apart since end of last summer when I lost clutch after coming home from a 300 mile ride just stopped for an hour jumped back on bike and clutch lever went right to handle bar and since then well the clutch still no change? like you said this system is really simple and i am am a mechanic been wrenching for decades it's like peanut butter jelly sandwich this one but the peanut butter won't stick to the bread. Been beating my head against the wall with this one

·
Registered
946 Posts
Clutch still engaged when the main clutch lever (engine side) is fully pulled means the problem must be clutch side and/or the "linkage" inside that engages the clutch plates. Are you getting a full "Pull" on the main clutch lever on the engine? I assume you know the "Major" clutch adjustment, down near the clutch lever (engine side). "Minor" adjustment made up near the handlebar lever,

1 - 20 of 114 Posts