Honda VTX Forum banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
When my clutch is at rest and there is an amount of free-play in the cable i cannot move my clutch lever (engine side) with my finger, not even a little.
When i suggested that you take a crescent wrench and place it on the clutch lever (engine side) to see if you could move the lever to disengage the clutch i never heard that you actually tried this'. What i heard back was "I can move this with my finger...". The crescent wrench at the clutch lever (engine side) eliminates the clutch cable and handlebar lever from the equation.

So if you have not already, Please go get a crescent wrench and align it with the extended arm of the clutch lever (engine side) and attempt to to move it until it cannot go any farther (hard stop) and tell us if the clutch disengaged.

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
When my clutch is at rest and there is an amount of free-play in the cable i cannot move my clutch lever (engine side) with my finger, not even a little.
When i suggested that you take a crescent wrench and place it on the clutch lever (engine side) to see if you could move the lever to disengage the clutch i never heard that you actually tried this'. What i heard back was "I can move this with my finger...". The crescent wrench at the clutch lever (engine side) eliminates the clutch cable and handlebar lever from the equation.

So if you have not already, Please go get a crescent wrench and align it with the extended arm of the clutch lever (engine side) and attempt to to move it until it cannot go any farther (hard stop) and tell us if the clutch disengaged.
Maybe, if he can move it with his fingers, moving it with a wrench is moot. My bet is something is wrong "inside". I can't imagine what though.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
he needs to take it to a shop...my opinion.

maybe not a dealer... but someone, he is missing something !!

and its been DOWN a year.
50 years,, the most I was without a running motorcycle was 1 week, waiting on parts.
hell, on 4/1987 I totaled my 1983 Wing, 400 miles from home.
got home, jumped into the car.. purchased a New Goldwing that afternoon.
rode it home the next day.

<< Then worked with the insurance on price on the wrecked one >>

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know that this guy doesn't want to hear this, but I am going to say it anyway. I have had two 1300's a 2004 and now a 2005 and his problem is that he has misadjusted his clutch cable (particularly at the engine end) so badly that there is no way that he has enough travel at the HB clutch lever to ever get the shaft at the clutch basket to contact the pressure plate and release the clutch!!! He has all of the adjusting thread on that end of the cable to the rear of the positioning bracket when actually the correct adjustment should be with about half the threads on either side of the bracket and he can ONLY do that with a jam nut on either side of the bracket!!!! That spring on the clutch arm at the case it not that strong (pretty sure that it is there to keep that arm from vibrating while riding and eating itself up), it is the end of the shaft at the pressure plate that gives such a hard pressure to unlock the plates when sitting or stopping that many of us install a Glens Clutch Pull Relief arm to bring down the felt pressure. Go back and add the second jam nut and readjust the slack to ~ half on each end of the bracket and see what happens...…………….or you can go ahead and keep beating your head against the wall. It's up to you!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
my view,,, seeing others with a problem they can not solve..

frustration leads to blindness of the problem.. fine details are lost.

I lost count the number of bikes arriving at dealership or my garage ..
partly disassembled
to a full on basket case.

my guess.. that bike may never see the road again under this persons ownership. so sad.
<< a Year >>

·
Premium Member
6,196 Posts
my view,,, seeing others with a problem they can not solve..

frustration leads to blindness of the problem.. fine details are lost.

I lost count the number of bikes arriving at dealership or my garage ..
partly disassembled
to a full on basket case.

my guess.. that bike may never see the road again under this persons ownership. so sad.
<< a Year >>
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it won't see the road again, but I've seen that as well. I almost bought a basket case Triumph 750 that I was told was complete. Once I started counting the parts, it was far from complete. Never bought it for that reason. Started out as electrical, believe it or not. He just kept taking things apart until he ran out of fasteners to remove, then had no clue how to put it back together. He never did figure out the electrical issue. I think that tunnel vision happens a lot, to me too. I often get fresh eyes on a problem because of it. Of course I do not have your years of wrenching experience. Your point about fine details getting lost is 100%. And that leads to more frustration, increasing the blindness.

My bet is on the OP figured out the problem and the problem was covered in a previous post to some degree, or he got some fresh eyes on it and it got solved.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I hope he does figure it out.. or get the help to put it back on the road.

but the clock is ticking.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts