Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird things started to happen today with my clutch. I would go into to first OK, then shift up into 2nd nicely, but then 3rd and up will not go easily...I had to tap a few times to get it to take. It down shifts gear by gear with seemingly no problem. Aw man, my foot is getting tired

·
Registered
799 Posts
Clutch

You haven't been speed shifting have you? You might try adjusting the clutch cable. It may have backed off. If that doesn't help, drain the oil and check for metal filings. Just changing the oil may help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where should I adjust? I also have a loose throttle. Seems like it has too much slack when idle..you can see it on the carb loosen up. I'm not sure where to make the right adjustment there either. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
monkeyboy said:
Where should I adjust? I also have a loose throttle. Seems like it has too much slack when idle..you can see it on the carb loosen up. I'm not sure where to make the right adjustment there either. Thanks for the help.
You can make minor adjustments at the clutch top adjustment nut near the lever. Large adjustments are made at the bottom adjuster above the left engine cover. You should have about 1/4" of freeplay on the clutch.

The throttle also has two adjustment points, on on the upper cable for little stuff, and at the carb end for the bigger stuff. You need about 1/8" of freeplay on the throttle.

All the adjustment nuts work the same - loosen the locknut, adjust, tighten the locknut. It's very easy. All of this info should be in your owners manual as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.