Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something to check if you have a gritty clutch feel.

Recently, it seemed as though my clutch was not fully engaged until the very last little bit of the clutch lever was let out. I had put in a Barnett clutch at around 8000 miles, along with a host of other mods and a valve adjustment. I now have a little over 12,000 miles on the bike, so it didn't make sense that my clutch would be wearing out in only 4000 miles. FWIW, I am very careful not to use oil with moly in it.

Yesterday, my bike got left out in a mild rainstorm at work. On the way home, I noticed that the clutch felt gritty when moving the lever. I figured that I just needed to grease the brass bushings, so I took it apart today to get that done.

When I did all the mods at 8000 miles, I also added Kury chromed brake and clutch levers. I've never been happy with them, other than they are chrome and the stockers are flat aluminum. The stock levers just felt better to me. Well, when I took them apart, I noticed that the large brass bushing was wearing away substantially. There are two bushings, a hollow one for the mounting screw onto the clutch reservoir, and the other one looks more like a plug with a hole drilled not quite all the way through so that the pushrod of the clutch master cylinder fits inside and is captured there when assembled. It is this plug that I am talking about. The side away from the cylinder pushrod, which takes the force when you pull in the clutch, was grooved and very unevenly worn, as though the plug had shifted either up or down and was riding like that for quite a ways.

This might be a defect in the Kury levers in that the hole for the plug might be too big or misaligned. As worn as the plug is, it can bounce around inside the lever when it is off the bike. There should be a fairly close fit for precise clutch action. The clutch lever itself appeared to be slightly worn also. There was some grease still left in there from when I installed the levers, but there was quite a bit of dirt also.

The result is, the more the plug wears, the less the clutch will disengage at full pull. I wonder how many others have wear at this point, either with the stock, Kury, or aftermarket levers. The brass plug is a stock Honda part, as it was transferred over from the stock levers because Kury didn't include one in their kit. I greased it back up, flipped it over to mitigate some of the wear for now, and reinstalled it. Clutch action is much better. I wonder if I have caused some unnecessary wear to my clutch, as the worn brass plug would not disengage the clutch fully, or as much, when pulling the lever all the way in as compared to a good plug.

I'll be getting the stock levers chromed and will buy a new plug and install it. Meantime, might want to check yours.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the heads up! :wink:

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I doubt any damage was done. If it had been preventing full engagement, (allowing slippage) it would have ate some fiber. I also thank you for the heads up, as I have chromed levers too.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i have had my showchrome adjustable wide levers in for two years and zero problems
as you described ...

but then i take the lever out every spring and clean it, lube it with moly, and ensure the
little plunger sits in the bushing hole properly when reinstalling ...

its just one of those maintenance things that needs to be done ...

did that for a buddy whose clutch lever sounded like an old door hinge ... his
bike is 5 years old and NEVER had the lever cleaned or lubed.

:shock:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine and my buddy's had worn. He's over 100k and I'm over 70k so not bad, I did order a spare, shipping is more than the part cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts