Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I am replacing the clutch on my 05 VTX1800....about 66k miles

Had an MTC in there with there springs and shims for some years after the stock started slipping...it was good for a while.....gradually its gettin harder and harder to punch it and not slip so I am changing it again, this time trying the Barnett kit - steels, carbon fibers and springs.

Have it all apart and found that the pressure plate bearing isn't smooth and its making some noise....soooooooo my swap is stopped till I can locate a bearing to swap in....

But I am wondering ---I am looking at the pressure plate and the surface on the basket and they are very shiny....I don't think they are glazed ...they are not discolored or anything....but pretty shiny..... very fine scratches...no deep gouges or anything like that....

Do these surfaces need resurfaced or scuffed or anything and if so what the best way to do it? I am using bareass choppers' how to and it doesnt say anything there about this question...... And while I am here ---the small chain behind the clutch basket-- I think its oil pump??? --- how much slack is considered normal?

Reactions: Maechyll

· Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Do these surfaces need resurfaced or scuffed or anything and if so what the best way to do it?
A ScotchBrite pad and some oil will scuff the surfaces nicely. If re-using the steels it is recommended to scuff with a ScotBrite pad. The other steel surfaces seeing fiber friction sirface would benefit from the same treatment.

Reactions: shadango

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wood Purple Tree Cloud Food

Light Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

UGH!! I CANT WIN!!!!!

Ok---so
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Bumper Rim

Font Electric blue Parallel Magenta Label

I went to install the Barnett clutch today.......the springs in the kit are HUGE.....I bought a Barnett clutch kit (steels, fibers and springs) and I am installing now (well I was).....however the springs that were in the sealed clutch pack are almost TWICE the length of the MTC springs I am taking out...the springs coming out are 43mm .....the springs I received in the kit are about 74.5 mm!!
That cant be right can it?

The kit was a sealed barnett bag with the clutches/steels in it and then the springs were in a sealed barnett bag inside of that bag....but neither bag has a part number on it.

The box has the barnett part number 303-35-20023, which matches what Barnetts site says applies for my bike, and the parts unlimited number HPK-86CF on it. I wonder if these are the incorrect springs or perhaps the whole clutch kit is the wrong one??

I bought the clutch kit from Amazon and the seller was SVS powersports.

All I know is that it will make installing them difficult to not mess up the clutch bolt threads as I will have to compress the springs a good bit to get the bolts anywhere NEAR the holes...!

This cant be right can it? The picture is deceptive cause of the angle....31.5 mm longer!!!!!!! Thats over 3/4"!!!

Now I am wondering if the steels and clutches are the right ones, thickness wise...but they seem to be ok…..I think….I haven’t measured them…

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Registered
14,807 Posts
Aside from your spring issues, the final friction disk tab is not offset from the others.

2002-08 VTX1800 301-45-10008(8) 401-35-078027(7) 501-48-06129 *303-35-20023 *Complete Kit
Call Barnett to inquire about those springs.
2238 Palma Drive, Ventura, CA 93003-5733
Phone: (805) 642-9435 Fax: (805) 642-9436
www.barnettclutches.com

Bare's pic outer plate offset.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I measured the length of the Barnett springs that I installed 18 yrs ago before I went for the MTC clutch: 60 mm. Stock springs: 55 mm.
Thanks for measuring....yeh these are almost 75mm.....clearly wrong.

Dangit.

· Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aside from your spring issues, the final friction disk tab is not offset from the others.

2002-08 VTX1800 301-45-10008(8) 401-35-078027(7) 501-48-06129 *303-35-20023 *Complete Kit
Call Barnett to inquire about those springs.
2238 Palma Drive, Ventura, CA 93003-5733
Phone: (805) 642-9435 Fax: (805) 642-9436
www.barnettclutches.com

Bare's pic outer plate offset.
View attachment 214002
Thanks for noticing that and pointing it out...I missed that this time around!!!!! THANKS!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts