Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont ride as much as I used to.. Working on getting back at it. I have an 02 1800C... Love it... Last time I rode it, 3 months ago everything was fine. Trying to get ready for a SMOKEY MTN RUN. I fired it up today, noticed the clutch lever had about zero resistance. Sight glass had no sign of fluid. I bled the clutch, got all the dark fluid out and got good clear DOT 4 fluid running through it and did not see any air bubbles.

Before I closed everything up, there was still no resistance on clutch lever? (I am not a wrench).. I went ahead, filled up the master and closed everything up. I fired it up in neutral and as soon as I put it in gear, it lurched and went dead.. I never let off the clutch..

This was my first time to do this, I only got approx 8oz out of fluid from the whole process? Should I have ran more through it? Should I continue bleeding it? Or is there another problem?

Couple of points: There was no fluid on the floor, and no sign of any leakage.
Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

·
Registered
13,290 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
"noticed the clutch lever had about zero resistance. Sight glass had no sign of fluid. I bled the clutch, got all the dark fluid out and got good clear DOT 4 fluid running through it and did not see any air bubbles.
My first place to look for the missing brake fluid is behind the slave cylinder. If that seal ("O ring") has failed you will find oil there. Since it would seem air has gotten in the line it will take more effort to clear the bubbles. Crack the banjo bolt at the master and bleed. Just one or two pumps. Have plenty of towels so the fluid doesn't get on the paint. Another way to force air out is bleeding from the slave back into the master. I use a large syringe. Again, watch the fluid level doesn't spill over. It's also possible the piston in the master is stuck in a position where the spring won't return it to it's idle position. A pair of snap-ring pliers will allow you to remove the piston and clean out the piston and bore. Replace the O-ring.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first place to look for the missing brake fluid is behind the slave cylinder. If that seal ("O ring") has failed you will find oil there. Since it would seem air has gotten in the line it will take more effort to clear the bubbles. Crack the banjo bolt at the master and bleed. Just one or two pumps. Have plenty of towels so the fluid doesn't get on the paint. Another way to force air out is bleeding from the slave back into the master. I use a large syringe. Again, watch the fluid level doesn't spill over. It's also possible the piston in the master is stuck in a position where the spring won't return it to it's idle position. A pair of snap-ring pliers will allow you to remove the piston and clean out the piston and bore. Replace the O-ring.
Many Thanks... I will check these possibilities out..

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont ride as much as I used to.. Working on getting back at it. I have an 02 1800C... Love it... Last time I rode it, 3 months ago everything was fine. Trying to get ready for a SMOKEY MTN RUN. I fired it up today, noticed the clutch lever had about zero resistance. Sight glass had no sign of fluid. I bled the clutch, got all the dark fluid out and got good clear DOT 4 fluid running through it and did not see any air bubbles.

Before I closed everything up, there was still no resistance on clutch lever? (I am not a wrench).. I went ahead, filled up the master and closed everything up. I fired it up in neutral and as soon as I put it in gear, it lurched and went dead.. I never let off the clutch..

This was my first time to do this, I only got approx 8oz out of fluid from the whole process? Should I have ran more through it? Should I continue bleeding it? Or is there another problem?

Couple of points: There was no fluid on the floor, and no sign of any leakage.
Any help would be much appreciated.. Thanks in advance..
UPDATE::::::::::::::: Good NEWS,,,,, well,,, as I was preparing to get into the "slave" and try to figure that out, I decided to re-read the info from bareasschoppers.. I realized that I had made a mistake when I tried to bleed the clutch the first time.. I tied it again, got it right and now it is working better than ever!!!
My mistake was that I was not pumping the clutch lever "multiple times" to build pressure before opening the bleeder valve. I only pumped it one time for each bleed. I have figured out now.. Thanks to all that helped me out.. Now, I will continue packing for my trip to view the beautiful fall foilage in the Smokies..

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
Great to hear the feedback from folks who got help. Have a fantastic ride thru the Smokies!!

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
UPDATE::::::::::::::: Good NEWS,,,,, well,,, as I was preparing to get into the "slave" and try to figure that out, I decided to re-read the info from bareasschoppers.. I realized that I had made a mistake when I tried to bleed the clutch the first time.. I tied it again, got it right and now it is working better than ever!!!
My mistake was that I was not pumping the clutch lever "multiple times" to build pressure before opening the bleeder valve. I only pumped it one time for each bleed. I have figured out now.. Thanks to all that helped me out.. Now, I will continue packing for my trip to view the beautiful fall foilage in the Smokies..
When doing something w/o an expert's help, or looking over your shoulder to guide you, it's imperative to read, re-read, and then re-read a couple more times before and during any steps working on the bike. We all can miss something the first time, or mis-comprehend what we've read. Glad you solved it.

Reactions: DrDolittle
1 - 9 of 9 Posts