Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the springs with Barnets according to Bare's instructions and replaced the levers with Kury wide levers. After these two mods, I have two problems:
1) Shifting gears at a stop is very difficult and unsmooth - neutral is very hard to find
2) Clutch is slipping very bad

There aren't too many things to screw up doing to spring mod so I'm at a loss. . . Any suggestions.

Thoughts: I am going to try to replace the Kury lever with my stock lever and see if that fixes anything. I also wonder if the clutch line needs to be bled and if air in the line would cause these problems? I use the OEM Honda oil in the bike. The bike also sat without oil in it for about 2 months or more by accident . . . I tried to ride it around a little shifting to see if the clutch assembly just needed to get lubed up but when I come to a complete stop - it's really hard to shift in either direction - moving isn't bad at all but the clutch slips. I confused.

Any thoughts????????

Clarification:
The clutch slips, it doesn't engage all of the way right away - the bike will move but it will rev out like somebody letting the clutch out really slow when in fact, the lever is fully engaged. If it was the lever not letting me pull the clutch in all the way, it wouldn't explain the clutch slipping . . . or vice-versa, if the lever wasn't allowing the clutch to fully engage, it shouldn't be so hard to find neutral at a complete stop right?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
It quite possibly could be the levers. The first thing I'd do is put the stock one back on and see what that does for the slipping. Don't ride it with it slipping that bad though or you'll glaze the plates and have to put a whole new clutch in.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Try putting the stock lever back on. I believe there was a post not too long ago the the Kury lever had a tab that needed to be ground down, otherwise it prevented the level from it's full motion and keeping the clutch partially engaged. A search should fit it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just seems weird to assume that the lever is causing problems on both ends of the spectrum ya know? I'm going to try replacing the lever when I get home tonight and take it for a "short" ride. I also noticed that when the bike is shut off and I squeeze the cluth in and let it out, I can hear the plates coming together and it's a little louder than it was before - normal or potentially part of the problem? Is there something I could have done or forgot to do during install to cause these two things to happen? Weird

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tapper - air in the line could cause both of these issues?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VTXnVA - I thought the levers that needed to be modified were the adjustable Kury's for the Goldwing - these are supposedly designed specifically for the VTX - I didn't notice any tabs or restriction in range of motion in the lever - it goes all of the way out and all of the way to the grip -

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
wccoman said:
VTXnVA - I thought the levers that needed to be modified were the adjustable Kury's for the Goldwing - these are supposedly designed specifically for the VTX - I didn't notice any tabs or restriction in range of motion in the lever - it goes all of the way out and all of the way to the grip -
You could be right. I did a few searches, and it looks like it was the Kury switch covers that may have interferred with the clutch play. :oops: If you have the spec'd clutch lever free-play, you're good there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clutch Slip

hi

You might want to check out this post read Gman351 reply, he had to trim his levers because of slips, I don't think this is the cause of all your problem however, air in the lines sound more like it.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... kyn+clutch

Have a nice day, and keep it between the lines

The Gunner

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Hey Man...The more I think about, I really think it could be the lever not allowing the plugger in the mastercylinder to fully extend back out. I think you're on the right track putting the stock lever on and checking it. It is the easiest thing to try! :lol: This clutch problem thing is turning into a common occurance up here in MN!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's an extremely logical solution and I won't know until I try it but if it does happen to be the problem, what would be causing the difficult shifting and getting into neutral? I put the stocker back on last night but didn't get to ride it - too late and too loud . . .

Thanks for your help in brainstorming this one guys -

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Re: Clutch Slip

SGMGunner said:
hi

You might want to check out this post read Gman351 reply, he had to trim his levers because of slips, I don't think this is the cause of all your problem however, air in the lines sound more like it.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... kyn+clutch

Have a nice day, and keep it between the lines

The Gunner
Aaahh, I feel much better now, that was the post I was thinking about, just couldnt find it. Guess my CRS is not as bad as I thought it was. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Does the bike jump around a lot while you are trying to shift at a stop?

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Just reread some of your posts, and saw where the bike sat for a few months with no oil in it. Not a good deal. Could be as you work the clutch with the bike running things will loosen up, but it is possible things could have gotten rusty or gumed up just sitting....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No jumping while shifting at a complete stop . . .

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
hmmmmm....that sucks. if the lever don't fix it, I would sit on the bike working the clutch and the gear shifter. See if you can loosen the sumbiznitch up. I had to do this with a dirt bike that sat for accouple years one time...Good luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's unlikely to be air in the system as that wouldn't make the clutch slip.
Either the new lever is preventing the master cylinder piston from returning fully, or the new clutch springs are binding in the pressure plate which would make it not disengage or engage fully or smoothly. Also check that the release bearing items 15 and 8 in the parts fiche are not misplaced.
http://www.hondaonlineparts.com/showVie ... 1800C|2002
As a tip for the future, try to modify or repair one thing at a time and test it before moving on to the next mod. That way, if things go wrong, it's easier to to know where to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Did you remove the disc's and plates?? or did you only replace the spring's?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah - I only replaced the springs - nothing else came off. I was also very careful about torque and placement of the springs inside the holes (the were occasionally off-center after initial install).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts