Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2008 vtx1800 tourer that i just bought and find that every time i pull in the clutch in gear and slowly let it out the rpms increase about 200 rpms. It only does it in gear. In neutral it does not affect the bike. I removed the wires from the safety switch and put the bike in gear and the bike revs about 400 rps higher in gear with clutch pulled. If i ground out the t wires or depress the plunger with wires attached the clutch operates perfect with no rpm increase.
Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update. I idled the bike with the clutch safety switch removed and everytime i released the button while in gear the rpms increased about 300-400 rpms. I turned off the bike tried it again and it didnt affect the rpms. Turned the bike on again and then it was affecting the bike again. Only in gear not in neutral.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Once in awhile someone posts this situation.
Some think this is a Honda feature.

I have never seen a majority say this happens.

What safety switch did you disconnect

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once in awhile someone posts this situation.
Some think this is a Honda feature.

I have never seen a majority say this happens.

What safety switch did you disconnect
I disconnected the clutch switch at the handlebar. I only disconnected it for testing purposes. I tried it today and it seems that it is not as bad now. It was increasing revs when it was cold. I cleaned the wax solenoid in the throttlebody and it seemed to help. I find if I blip the throttle when the bike is hot and slowly release the clutch that is now when the bike seems to increase in idle. If i let it sit and not blip the throttle it seems to be fine. Really frustrating.

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Check vacuum hoses. Honda vacuum hoses crack/split after a few years. Typically on the ID of the hose.

Safety switch enables the Starter Relay ground line.

ECM status leads want to see a Ground to allow Ignition and possibly Injectors as far as I know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After all my efforts, i noticed that the clutch had some wear at the switch. I built it up with jb weld and it has seemed to fix the issue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts