Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*mods if this is the wrong forum please move*

Hello, new to the board. Picked up a 2005 VTX 1800C w/ 6300 miles a few weeks ago and if if power shift at all the clutch will slip; normal riding seems fine.... pretty normal for a stock clutch on a VTX

what's the opinions on here? Barnett or MTC?

I read Bare's MTC info and i've ready several threads praising the Barnett's; they're pretty similar in cost so that's a wash... I don't plan on modifying the engine or adding NOS; it has pipes on it and i'll probably add a power commander at some point but that's it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The only time my clutch ever slipped was on cold mornings with Royal Purple oil. I went back to Mobil 1 15w-50 and all's well. My friend Jon was having problems and getting worse, he sometimes had trouble passing a car going uphill. We pulled the cover and added a washer shim to each spring and no more problems. Jon says the clutch is a little harder to pull, but not bad. This was over a year back and he still likes it.
We found washers the same outside diameter as the springs and drilled them out to slide over the center posts with the springs. We installed the washers first then the spring.;) sb

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
MTC and if it's been slipping you might want to order new steel plates as well.

Welcome to VTXOA forum.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Are you certain the fluids and pressure are good?

Mileage is fairly low, although my clutch blew out at 16k

If so, then I would opt for MTC, shimmed to .075, changing all plates.

·
Registered
103 Posts
MTC here and well pleased.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the recomendations; I just changed the oil in case that was the issue and although it was better on a hard 2nd to 3rd shift it still slips.
Changing the clutch doesn't scare me; and I'd much rather change it and not worry about it than wonder when it will let go.... I don't want any issues... that's why i bought a honda... I just want to get on and ride :)

so looks like I should get that MTC on the way....
are there any of the board sponsors that are dealers? prefer to support those that support us :thumbup:

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
MY clutch was bad on my 05F when I bought it and it only had 4,100 miles on it. Installed a MTC clutch shimmed at .095, and never looked back.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
We may fight over engine oil or darksiding but you wont' find much argument against the MTC clutch, I tell you what. It's awesome.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
MTC - you won't regret!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts