Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2008 VTX 1800N1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all from TN. I've got a 2008 N1 and I've been on this forum for a while but not in a while and can't find my account so I created a new one. Any way, I do my own bike work and a local acquaintance that I met asked if I could do his clutch replacement for him. He also has an 1800 unsure of submodel as I haven't seen the bike yet. But, for those of you who have paid someone or been paid by someone, what has been the cost for having this work done minus parts cost. Just labor.

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
444 Posts
Hey, TNBing. The cost of any work is also influenced by location. I would call a powersports shop and ask them for a quote. That's your starting point. Adjust down as needed (are they a friend, is the bike going to be a pain b/c its in bad shape, etc.).
My two cents.

· Registered
86 Posts
Take whatever the average cost of shop time per hour in your area is and multiply it by a couple hours.
I just did the clutch on my 1800c, took me about three hours +/-. Three hours was me doing the clutch for the first time on one of these bikes specifically. Taking my time and BS'ing with a buddy while doing g it. It's a super simple clutch to change.
Probably take like 1-2 hours if you were on the clock and had done one before.

· Registered
13,640 Posts
While I've never done one, or watched one being done, I have read a ton on here that says to rotate the last disc differently than the others or it will cause problems. Maybe one of you fellas 'more in the know', with hands on experience, can describe it better. Just wanted to throw that out there.

· Old Goat
26,953 Posts
If it is not a friend 250-300 $ seems reasonable. A dealer will ask more.
It took me 3 hours.
IMHO…friends shouldnt charge friends or let them drive drunk..lol

· Registered
2008 VTX 1800N1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he was a ”Friend“ instead of an “acquaintance “..would u still charge him…lol..good luck
I guess it would depend on how good a friend... 😂. If it was a part time friend probably a case of beer and we're square. Good friend would know to bring some beer and bs with me while I worked. 🍻

· Registered
2008 VTX 1800N1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I've never done one, or watched one being done, I have read a ton on here that says to rotate the last disc differently than the others or it will cause problems. Maybe one of you fellas 'more in the know', with hands on experience, can describe it better. Just wanted to throw that out there.
I haven't done one yet either but am mechanically savvy and have done a bunch otherwise. I was going to do it on my R last year but I lost it in my house fire so never got the chance.

· Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1800S
64 Posts
The last plate physically wont fit in the normal slots, because of the space, the rest fill up the space in the regular slots. I could be wrong and it might be able to be forced in but when I did mine on my N it just didn't seem to physically be possible to put the last plate in that space.

· Registered
2,492 Posts

· Registered
2008 VTX 1800N1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Very helpful site👍

Very helpful site👍
Yes I know bareass's site very well. Helped me get through a valve adjustment the first time. His site is very helpful. And with my new to me N that I bought after the fire I am the proud owner of an original tech manual. 😁😁😁

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
444 Posts
Yes I know bareass's site very well. Helped me get through a valve adjustment the first time. His site is very helpful. And with my new to me N that I bought after the fire I am the proud owner of an original tech manual. 😁😁😁
I have an N, also. I'm pretty sure mine needs an adjustment but I haven't brought myself to do it. I just turn up the headphones to drown out the tick-tick-tick. How long did it take you? 1.5-2 hours?

· Registered
2008 VTX 1800N1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an N, also. I'm pretty sure mine needs an adjustment but I haven't brought myself to do it. I just turn up the headphones to drown out the tick-tick-tick. How long did it take you? 1.5-2 hours?
Actual work time probably about 2 hours. Could have done it quicker but I was drinking and cleaning and did a bunch of other stuff along the way like ground fix, desmog, coolant flush, etc.

· Registered
444 Posts

· Registered
13,640 Posts
I still have a length of string in a loop around my 4mm combo wrench! Probably going on 6 years now since adjusting, but then due to some life issues and cancelling of some long rides/ rallies, haven't put many miles on her since then.

Reactions: Merry Prankster
1 - 17 of 17 Posts