Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the search in the community and did not find anything that would help me. What is the most difficult part of replacing the clutch? I asked on a Facebook page what you need to soak in oil and a guy commented that you need to soak the coated disks in ATF. I have never heard of that. Is that true? I am fairly mechanical but a little nervous on this idea of doing the clutch myself. So I kind of need to know how difficult of a job this is.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Clutch fibers soaked in engine oil. Not energy conserving. Don't know where the ATF thing came from. Do you have a service manual? I highly recommend it. It is a fairly a straight forward job. Do you have the tools? You will need an impact wrench to bust the clutch hub nut loose.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have never replaced my clutch, however I just did a search on Youtube and came up with about 10 videos on that subject. I hope this helps, keep up posted.

Reactions: Turnerman45

·
Registered
468 Posts
I did the search in the community and did not find anything that would help me. What is the most difficult part of replacing the clutch? I asked on a Facebook page what you need to soak in oil and a guy commented that you need to soak the coated disks in ATF. I have never heard of that. Is that true? I am fairly mechanical but a little nervous on this idea of doing the clutch myself. So I kind of need to know how difficult of a job this is.
Only you can answer your question of how difficult it is. I think the hardest part is getting the gasket on there correctly (nice and uniform/smooth). Soak the Fiber discs in the oil you're going to use. I did my cbr 1000 and it was a pain trying to catch the spring onto the cover and lining things up, not hard, just a pain. It's like knowing exactly where the bolts are that you need to get to on a car job, but they are a mother to get to. I have never done the x, but there are some videos out there. I suggest you get the honda manual if you don't have it. You can download it here I think. I think that does a good job explaining procedures. Research it before you tackle it. Between this forum , the manual and youtube, you should be golden! The guys video below shows you the insides and what you're in for. There are 4 parts I think

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clutch fibers soaked in engine oil. Not energy conserving. Don't know where the ATF thing came from. Do you have a service manual? I highly recommend it. It is a fairly a straight forward job. Do you have the tools? You will need an impact wrench to bust the clutch hub nut loose.
I do have a service manual. I'm hoping my brother has an impact wrench cuz I don't. I told the guy I never heard of soaking things in ATF fluid before everybody says soaked the disc
In oil for 24 hours. the manual says 3 minutes that's why I'm asking this question on here because the manual says one thing and everybody else have something else on how long soak the discs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only you can answer your question of how difficult it is. I think the hardest part is getting the gasket on there correctly (nice and uniform/smooth). Soak the Fiber discs in the oil you're going to use. I did my cbr 1000 and it was a pain trying to catch the spring onto the cover and lining things up, not hard, just a pain. It's like knowing exactly where the bolts are that you need to get to on a car job, but they are a mother to get to. I have never done the x, but there are some videos out there. I suggest you get the honda manual if you don't have it. You can download it here I think. I think that does a good job explaining procedures. Research it before you tackle it. Between this forum , the manual and youtube, you should be golden! The guys video below shows you the insides and what you're in for. There are 4 parts I think
I appreciate the light to YouTube all I can find what's for the 1800 at all they were showing was how to do the disks and then put everything back together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the YouTube link all I could find was for the 1800 and all they were doing was replacing the discs

·
Registered
468 Posts
Replacing the discs is the main part. The procedure is explained in section 10 of the manual. It explains it pretty well. If you need help just ask here. Take a look and if you think it's too much, then I guess have it done at a shop

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
NSR.com.

I don't feel I can watch too many how-to videos re. the task.

If I pick up just one extra tip on making it easier, that's a bonus.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replacing the discs is the main part. The procedure is explained in section 10 of the manual. It explains it pretty well. If you need help just ask here. Take a look and if you think it's too much, then I guess have it done at a shop
I think I feel pretty comfortable that I can do it after watching a video on the 1300 showing everything my only question is how do you unstake the lock nut? As I have never done that before. I'm guessing at small screwdriver but I'm not sure if that would be strong enough.

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800 C/ troy
2 Posts
soak the clutch disks in the same oil you use in your bike i use 15 40 rotella diesel oil protects better in my case i replace the whole clutch basket cause i push a lot more weight than usual
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
468 Posts
First, you have to figure out what your problem is. You never mentioned it. Is it slipping, are there noises? How many miles are on the bike? I have 54k on mine and it is the original clutch going strong. Why do you want to take the whole assembly apart? Vtx clutches have lasted a long time from what i hear. Unless , it's been driven harshly.
You don't need to worry about staking the nut or removing it. But, yes a screwdriver is what you can use. That's only if you need to remove the outer assembly. you will also need a tool to hold it while you loosen it, but there are other ways. i just bought one from motion pro for around $20 I think it was. If you want to go deep in and inspect everything , then yes, you need to remove the staked nut. But, like I said earlier, the main job is replacing the discs (fiber and steel) and checking the springs after removing the pressure plate. Basically, what they do in the 1800 video. Once you get done with the 3rd step of clutch disassembly which is on p. 10-8 of the manual, you should be done. Unless, you have another problem? Just make sure you check those springs, since they will already be out. Post back if you need more help

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it possible to change the clutch discs by just removing the clutch cover, and not taking the big cover off?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the clutch adjust just through the cable or is there more to it for the 1300 my bike is a 2006 VTX 1300 S

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,231 Posts
Sneaky way to get people to read the thread.

Edit: Threads were merged, now my silly comment looks silly.

·
Super Moderator
64,299 Posts
I put this video in your other clutch thread a few days ago

·
Super Moderator
64,299 Posts
The only adjustment for the clutch is through the cable, no need to crack the case open for that

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sneaky way to get people to read the thread.

Edit: Threads were merged, now my silly comment looks silly.
No I just got to thinking about it, and realized, oh crap I know the answer without asking and I tried to delete it, and it wouldn't let me delete it all would let me do is edit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To answer your other clutch question....yes, the whole chrome side cover must come off. Here's a How To do it;
Yeah I wasn't thinking when I posted that stupid question. I should have known it had to come off because of the wet clutch and there is no gasket or thread maker that goes on the clutch cover.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts