Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 1800 Retro w/bags, windshield, stereo, backrest (loaded weight wise) and I generally ride two up (400 lbs). The VTX has 9600 miles and for the past 1000 miles I notice what feels like a slip when I really get on it hard. It occurs about midrange through second gear, it's momentary as if the rear wheel is spinning. Note* I use Honda synthetic motor oil.

Is the clutch going bad this early or is there another issue? No other slipping in any gear under all types of load. I doubt I'm spinning the rear wheel while riding two up.....

What is the life expectancy of the clutch and is there a recommded brand to change to if a new clutch is needed.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
springs

Change the clutch springs bub.... Use the Barnett replacement, should cure what slippage you have real quick!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
yep its spring time, get em from HDL 20 bucks I think and some 2x6s to put the scooter on takes about 1 hr start to finish. Do a search on the topic or just go to Bareasschoppers.com and stroll down to the spring section. for how to inst.:lol:

Be Safe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clutch slippage

I should have read some of the other posts first....I'm learning.....I ordered the clutch springs from HDL a few minutes ago.......I got to tell you though......the first time it happened I thought the driveshaft was going south!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts