Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the Aeromach 4" risers to lower my bar position on my neo I took the bike out for a ride. When getting on the throttle hard in third gear I noticed the bike was revving unusually high. The clutch seems to be slipping under load. It doesn't do this during normal riding. Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
The risers should not have diddly to do with this. It appears it is time for you to do a couple of things..................

One, purchase the Barnett heavy clutch springs and shim those springs with washers to appox .125 to no more then .138. You will need to mike out all or your stock fibers plates and stock metal plates. The dimensions for the stock fibers if they are still within Hondas limits are anything above .120. The metal plates should mike out to .078-.080. If the metals are not burnt, warped, blued, or scored bad, they should be good to go for reuse. Put it all back together and ride on.....................

Here is a thread on the stock clutch pack with the Barnett springs.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... gs#1369516

Two, purchase an entire new aftermarket clutch assembly and install it.

Show

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
clutch slip

Dont waste your time with the spring mod..Just buy the MTC clutch,and be done with it...See my thread on the MTC clutch...Not to put down what Showtime said,but the spring mod is just a temporary fix IMO. There is a lot more meat on the MTC fiber plates than stock the ones...and I could not be happier about the way my X shifts and runs now..

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Re: clutch slip

aardvark said:
Dont waste your time with the spring mod..Just buy the MTC clutch,and be done with it...See my thread on the MTC clutch...Not to put down what Showtime said,but the spring mod is just a temporary fix IMO. There is a lot more meat on the MTC fiber plates than stock the ones...and I could not be happier about the way my X shifts and runs now..
Agree its a temp fix if you only install the springs and nothing else. I have a few buddys here that we have shimmed the Barnett springs to .138 and both of those scoots slipped at 4-6000 miles before the swap. Since the spring swap along with the spring shims, one scooter has accumulated over an additional 15,000 miles, and the other about 10,000. Still pulling strong with the stock plates.

Not as hard a hook as the MTC, but not slipping either................ 8)

Show

1 - 4 of 4 Posts