Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been riding this bike long, but it seems like recently, the arthritis in my left hand has gotten so bad I can hardly pull the clutch in. I am wondering if any of you old timers know of anything that can be done, or am I to the point of giving up my lifelong dream. I have loved motorcycles since I was a kid and I finally got one I love to ride.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Extend the clutch lever and less finger strength needed...More travel is the trade-off.
My DIY extension made from steel electrical box cover.
Someone sells them.. NOT me..

Late VW had a vacuum piston that operated the clutch lever.
No clutch pedal, just a bit of slack in the neutral position of the shifter.
Just a light touch and piston would disengage clutch, and you pushed transmission into gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
26,034 Posts
Lube the clutch cable.

I also have arthritis in my hands, got to the point I could only pull it in half way.
Lubed the cable-good to GO!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I haven't been riding this bike long, but it seems like recently, the arthritis in my left hand has gotten so bad I can hardly pull the clutch in. I am wondering if any of you old timers know of anything that can be done, or am I to the point of giving up my lifelong dream. I have loved motorcycles since I was a kid and I finally got one I love to ride.
This will drastically reduce the effort required to work the clutch. I put it on one of my 1300's just to try it out. Really works and easy to install.

https://www.glensvtxgarage.com/clutch-pull-relief

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! I thank you folks! I did not expect responses so fast.I read through the answered and they were awesome! I will definitely give them a try!

·
Old Goat
24,161 Posts
The clutch relief does work....I have one from the original source.....but nuttin wrong with Glens.....good luck OP...:thumbup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I installed the clutch pull releif, but now I can't get the slack out of the clutch cable. I have tried adjusting it at the handlebars and on the lower clutch cable, but it is like my cable is suddenly an inch or two too long.

The Glens Garage clutch relief works wonders and the kit has everything you need to install. I did mine in less than 20 minutes. I did not have any problems re-installing the OEM cable.

·
Old Goat
24,161 Posts
You appear to have way too much cable at the relief end...I have an R and cables are longer...my bike has 54k..use my pix to get u started...and go from there.....once adjusted a good universal measurement is the lever should have the width of 2 Nickles at cable end..as stated on forum back in the day..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Image1.jpg
Move the threaded part in the direction indicated to take up slack.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
The end of the jacket(outer cover)hollow threaded tube is at the end of my lock-nut on the bracket.
Harkon is dead on with the pic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts