Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Premium Member
11,024 Posts
I wonder if there is something distinctly “west coast” in theses stories of irresponsible parking and incompetent enforcement of rules? You could explain the basic stupidity of self-entitled dolts for the improper parking, but the ineptitude of managers in simply enforcing rules is completely foreign to me.

Is the simple enforcement of rules and standards an unfamiliar part of managing in the libtard world? Or perhaps I'm just reading way much into it.
Well, one wouldn't want to hurt one's feelings about it.

I think this happens a lot more than we'd think. HR isn't in charge of parking so that's someone else's problem. HR won't escalate it because then it becomes their doing. A simple "please stop doing that" would likely be enough, but in some places, that could result in hurt feelings.

The much larger concern is that management even needs to get involved. How that doesn't light a fire for management, I'll never know. I mean FFS, be an adult!

· Registered
2,087 Posts
I wonder if there is something distinctly “west coast” in theses stories of irresponsible parking and incompetent enforcement of rules? You could explain the basic stupidity of self-entitled dolts for the improper parking, but the ineptitude of managers in simply enforcing rules is completely foreign to me.

Is the simple enforcement of rules and standards an unfamiliar part of managing in the libtard world? Or perhaps I'm just reading way much into it.
maybe the offended party wasn't using the right pronouns? i understand that's a big thing out there now.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Well, one wouldn't want to hurt one's feelings about it.

I think this happens a lot more than we'd think. HR isn't in charge of parking so that's someone else's problem. HR won't escalate it because then it becomes their doing. A simple "please stop doing that" would likely be enough, but in some places, that could result in hurt feelings.

The much larger concern is that management even needs to get involved. How that doesn't light a fire for management, I'll never know. I mean FFS, be an adult!
entirely true, when I worked for a large international clothing retailer from 2010 to 2019. it was very common for their outsourced security company to park their golf carts in the disabled spots or in the striped off area for disabled van loading and unloading.

the same asshats would red tag cars for parking in the disabled spot or even in the electric only spots, yet they parked their golf carts in both. complaining to HR did nothing, complaining to facilities did nothing.

I was friends with the director of loss prevention, who was the direct report for the security company. I mentioned it to him once and he told me he had already complained about it to the security company management and was told they have no control over what their employees do when on site, and if he didn't like their behaviors, he could ask to not have that guard come back, but they were not going to address it.

· Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
As much as I love California, I totally understand why people think we're extreme here in trying to make sure everyone's feelings aren't hurt—even when it comes to rules enforcement. Unfortunately, some managers/corporations are so afraid of lawsuits, they tend to tip-tow when they should be stomping. People that know how to work the system, (e.g., frivolous lawsuits) are largely to blame.

In the culture of where I work it seems there is almost zero personal liability such that if someone screws up they just get 'friendly reminders'. I come from 25 years working for a place that would fire you for violations, after 3 recorded warnings for breaking a rule. You were on 'probation' for a year for any rule your manager choose to enforce, and if you broke the rule within your probation, you only had one more chance before you could be fired.

Funny thing is, California decided to simply go with the law that allows the employer to end your employment at any time for no reason. Before this companies were documenting even discipline warnings so they had them in case of a lawsuit. So is this more liberal? Companies still have to worry about wrongful termination lawsuits, so probably why they are still tip-toeing....:unsure:

Within the State of California, employment may be terminated at the will of either party. Both the employer and the employee are free to end the employment relationship at any time, with no penalty being assessed to either. Unless the parties have previously agreed to the contrary, there is no notice required to be given by either party.
Source: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/TerminationOfEmployment.pdf

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,914 Posts
Funny thing is, California decided to simply go with the law that allows the employer to end your employment at any time for no reason.
That is how it is here in Iowa, always has been. RIGHT TO FIRE they call it.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
As much as I love California, I totally understand why people think we're extreme here in trying to make sure everyone's feelings aren't hurt—even when it comes to rules enforcement. Unfortunately, some managers/corporations are so afraid of lawsuits, they tend to tip-tow when they should be stomping. People that know how to work the system, (e.g., frivolous lawsuits) are largely to blame.

In the culture of where I work it seems there is almost zero personal liability such that if someone screws up they just get 'friendly reminders'. I come from 25 years working for a place that would fire you for violations, after 3 recorded warnings for breaking a rule. You were on 'probation' for a year for any rule your manager choose to enforce, and if you broke the rule within your probation, you only had one more chance before you could be fired.

Funny thing is, California decided to simply go with the law that allows the employer to end your employment at any time for no reason. Before this companies were documenting even discipline warnings so they had them in case of a lawsuit. So is this more liberal? Companies still have to worry about wrongful termination lawsuits, so probably why they are still tip-toeing....:unsure:

Source: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/TerminationOfEmployment.pdf
at will employment is true for all states. you are free to quit when you want, they are free to release you when they want.

there is no requirement for an employee to give notice, however there is requirement for an employer to give a valid and justified reason. The loophole is they can call it a "lay-off" the problem there is they are then required to pay severance; two weeks' pay for every year worked I believe.

wrongful termination: In California, employers are required to provide employees with a valid reason for termination, and sudden, unexplained firings may be a violation of employment laws.

For example, if you were fired after being with the company for a long time or after receiving positive performance reviews, this could indicate that the termination was not based on legitimate business reasons. Additionally, if you were fired after refusing to engage in illegal or unethical conduct, this could also be a sign of wrongful termination.

while there are frivolous lawsuits, an employer's best protection is to document and do it by the book. HR folks are lazy though, they don't want to "get involved" even though it is their job to do so,

personally, speaking every HR person, I have ever met except 1, where highly toxic jerks especially the females. They think they are in a position of control and power, but by the very definition of Human Resources Representative is to be someone that is a neutral party that acts in the best interests of the employee and the employer and maintains a balance as the bridge between the two.

· Registered
2004 VTX C 1300 Red, Cobra pipes, K&N, Jetted, Dennis Kirk Solo Seat, Memphis Fats, 6800 miles
38 Posts
I had specified motorcycle parking at my work also, but the spots were slender and only for motorcycles. Maybe your work needs to take those spaces and have them repainted with thinner spots so a car/truck can't park in it? But I understand your original discrepancy with the idiot...if he can't read and obey signage, then he needs to be reprimanded!

· Registered
1,629 Posts
So today there was an e-mail response from the manager of the guy who I reported for parking in the Motorcycle Only spot. The manager wrote (best as I recall):

"I spoke with (insert employee name) about your concern with parking in the Motorcycle Only parking spot and told him if he has an concerns about where to park to take it up with (insert name of our Facilities manager)."

My mental response to this was;
  • Who the hell said (employee name) was "concerned" with where to park?" The opposite was the case, in that he totally lacked concern about it. WTF? o_O
I was talking to another co-worker about this whole matter and he laughed and said;

"Well, did you see there's a truck backed into the other Motorcycle Only spot? [We have 3 total, 2 on one side of the building, 1 on the other]. So after last weeks event, there was someone else parking in the other MO spot today.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

I
Next time just park your car front/behind of his, so he wont be able to leave when he wants. Let's see what happens...

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,914 Posts
My employer had a MC parking lot . A cyclone fenced off area , wide for entrance/exit but too small for vehicles. Granted there was >500 + employees but they took care of us riders. A bonus was it was close to the employee train . Get off your bike walk 100' ,get on the train.
Where do you work that requires a TRAIN to get you to the building?

· Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Makes sense to me Fithamoto. Put a bollard in the middle and paint a white line from that to the wall. It isn't that hard.
The assumption with this suggestion is that people who choose to ignore a posted Motorcycle Only sign will somehow be enlightened that the parking spot is actually a Motorcycle parking spot just by how the lines are painted. This wouldn't account for people like the guy who parked there justifying a car being parked there by "no motorcycles were there" idiotic reasoning.

· Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Next time just park your car front/behind of his, so he wont be able to leave when he wants. Let's see what happens...
Not how I roll. If someone is an a-hole, it doesn't mean it's OK for me to join his 'club'. Doing this type of thing is how people get their car's paintjob 'keyed'.

I love the idea Mr. Incredible referred to, that is calling for the illegally parked vehicle to be towed. If this were OK where I work I would have done just that after the guy ignored my pointing out his error. Some people need 'tough love' to learn anything.

· Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1800S
63 Posts
The assumption with this suggestion is that people who choose to ignore a posted Motorcycle Only sign will somehow be enlightened that the parking spot is actually a Motorcycle parking spot just by how the lines are painted. This wouldn't account for people like the guy who parked there justifying a car being parked there by "no motorcycles were there" idiotic reasoning.
I think what you missed in his reply was to put a pole in the center of the parking spot, thus making it un parkable for a car

· Registered
11,858 Posts
Maybe you didn’t understand the suggestion. He said to add bollards (posts) so that cars won’t fit.

Edit to add - I see now that my point is redundant; already clarified by 69camaro.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts