Honda VTX Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I think what you missed in his reply was to put a pole in the center of the parking spot, thus making it un parkable for a car
Yep, I missed that. Not familiar with the word 'bollard'. I should have looked it up before I responded with my focus on painted lines. :oops:

Reactions: Capt. Rory

· Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
432 Posts
Yep, I missed that. Not familiar with the word 'bollard'. I should have looked it up before I responded with my focus on painted lines. :oops:
Europeans are familiar with the word these days. They were put up, almost everywhere, to prevent vehicles from driving over people after the "line wolf" attacks a few years ago. They are becoming more prevalent in the US, too, but I'm not sure if it is for the same reason.

· Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
As a final say on this, be thankfull HOP. You love a good argument. At least the guy didn't cave in and gave you a bit of feedback on your thoughts. Gave you something to stew on for the day.
You're confusing a good debate with a good argument. I didn't enjoy the encounter with the co-worker in the least, as it upset me. I can debate most any topic without becoming emotionally involved. Getting face-to-face with someone who insists on being an a-hole isn't anything I "love". It frankly ruined my entire day because it reinforced all manner of bad feelings about people who can't be bothered with being considerate of others.

Yes, I'm an oddball who's passionate about a lot of things others let slide. I've often had to explain to people about the 'principal' of a act, as in tossing a gum wrapper on the ground (something I can't do). Being passionate about principals is a kind of curse or at least a burden, as 'rocking the boat' especially at work can get you into trouble. After the encounter I was kicking myself somewhat for worry the guy would cry to HR, or my boss that I had been 'discourteous' to him, for which I could be disciplined for (e.g. given a bad year end review).

As I already related, I had a face-to-face with my former boss at this same workplace for his speeding through the parking lot. I didn't enjoy it. I paid for it later with his telling everyone who would listen to him how I was "trouble" and god only knows what other 'slant' on my character he may have told. Will I do it again if I see someone else speeding though our lot? Yes. I already have several times. I may eventually lose my job because "I love a good argument" as you put it. It's more accurately that I can't stand by and be quiet when I feel someone needs to speak up.

· Premium Member
11,022 Posts
Most people don't like to be adressed the way a police officer would do.
There are other ways to make things clear and some will have more effect.
As always. Those that lack diplomacy, lack results.

· Registered
7,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
As always. Those that lack diplomacy, lack results.
Yes and no. It's simplistic to assume that every case of conflict can be resolved with diplomacy. Diplomacy depends on a common goal and the ability to see reason. WW II wasn't won with diplomacy. Some donkey's need to be smacked in the head with a 2x4 to even get their attention.....

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Premium Member
11,022 Posts
Yes and no. It's simplistic to assume that every case of conflict can be resolved with diplomacy. Diplomacy depends on a common goal and the ability to see reason. WW II wasn't won with diplomacy. Some donkey's need to be smacked in the head with a 2x4 to even get their attention.....
I never claimed that everything could be solved with diplomacy, only that those without lack results. It's not a universal truth, but more of a generalization.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts