Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a set of Cobra speedster slashcuts for my 2003 1800C, I'm running a Power Commander USB 3 (122-411 for 05 1800c) with stock filter. Got a couple of questions, are these pipes worth the money? do they come with removable baffles and does any body know what Dyno jet map will work with this combo(Not a california bike) Thanks!!
:shock:

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.

There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”

Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in

Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"

That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....

The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here

Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749

Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've just ordered a set of Cobra speedster slashcuts for my 2003 1800C, I'm running a Power Commander USB 3 (122-411 for 05 1800c) with stock filter. Got a couple of questions, are these pipes worth the money? do they come with removable baffles and does any body know what Dyno jet map will work with this combo(Not a california bike) Thanks!!
welcome to the forum!
I have the speedster longs and love them. I know they're different, but I am pretty sure yours have removable baffles as well. For maps check here: and here:
Just look for the set-up closest to yours and download it. Of course, you'll get more out of the PCIII if you have it dyno-tuned at a properly equipped shop.
I have bought a set of cobra pipes for each of the 3 bikes I have rode. Always happy with the results and the price is always right. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
64,215 Posts
I've just ordered a set of Cobra speedster slashcuts for my 2003 1800C, I'm running a Power Commander USB 3 (122-411 for 05 1800c) with stock filter. Got a couple of questions, are these pipes worth the money?
If you like them, sure they are.
do they come with removable baffles
See www.cobrausa.com for the install and parts sheets to find out but I think they do come out. But, you should not remove them as you will loose a lot of torque by running without baffles as the engine likes some backpressure to produce power&torque.
and does any body know what Dyno jet map will work with this combo(Not a california bike) Thanks!!
www.powercommander.com
www.bareasschoppers.com
Both have free maps to download, but the best thing to do is find a dyno operator that uses an air/fuel sniffer to read the exhaust and adjust the map accordingly. This will get you the most out of the PowerCommander, airbox and exhaust

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have the Speedster shorts. Great pipes and sound. That full length shield is challenging to put on, but do-able. I have after market Duc mod air filter (read-VW bug filter $25) and no pc3. Runs fine.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
JW, I would suggest using the map M122-011 or 012. Are you running the stock exhaust now? Reason for asking is the Cobra's will promote, or expose, decel popping which can be fixed easily with the PC III. You can find the maps on DynoJet's website, http://www.powercommander.com/power...mander_all_downloads.aspx?mk=7&mdl=52&yr=2005
Let me know if you have a noise problem with the decel popping and I'll send you the fix.
The previous suggestion of having a dyno test done and the map set up then is really the best way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cobra slashcuts-reply

Hey thanks for everyones input! I mis quoted the type of pipe though they are Cobra Speedster Slashdowns not slashcuts. The original pipe has some type of problem internaly. Every time I let off the throttle it weezes like its got asma and I've always had the back popping. Sounds like a burnt up baffle or somethin to me. Anybody had that problem?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Have you checked the exhaust gaskets?:dontknow: sb

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Do yourself a favor - before you install the pipes, whether you're going to leave the baffles that come with the pipes in or replace 'em with another set of baffles right away, get a couple of lock washers, remove the Allen head bolts that hold those baffles in place, throw a lock washer on each bolt and reinstall 'em. It wasn't long after I had my pipes that I jettisoned one of those bolts and had one of the baffles sliding back and forth in the pipe. The only thing that kept it from sliding out the back was the chrome end cap! Oh, when I replaced the missing bolt, I used a hex head bolt, versus the stupid Allen head that comes with the system. I replaced the other bolt with a hex head as well, while I was down there.

Glad I could help! Y'all can call this the "HDKLR Cobra Speedster Mod."

:wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
i have the cobra slashcut bulivards...love them
i have the dynopower cammander as well..they do not have my airbox
map configuration with my thunder airbox..they told me to use a map
with vance hines pipes..and my airbox..i downloaded it myself..
done..runs like a dream...

if the website does not show your airbox/pipe combo..call dyno..
or email them..they will match a map thats closest to your set up..

yes the tips do come off..there a pain to reach in to loosen bolt inside of pipe.
there are two..the one closest to the tip is the tip to come off..when you get tip
off there is another bolt inside that holds baffle in place...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts