Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any constructive negative comments on these pipes? I really like the look. Also, what is the diameter of these pipes? 2", 2.25", 2.5", 2.75", 3.0"? I've seen and heard the V&H Bigshoots on my buds bike, and they are VERY loud. Has anyone compared these two pipes? I'm not looking for something that loud. Thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
I love my slashdowns. They are plenty loud, but I like the tone. I have heard the bigshots, but never side by side with my slashdowns. I would say the volume is relatively close between the two, but like I said, I've never heard them both at the same time to really compare.

One caution: If you do get shashdowns, lock-tite the hell out of the little screws that hold the tips in. I lost a tip shortly after getting the pipes, so I used lock-tite on the screw in the replacement and never worried about it again until a week or so ago, when I lost another one :evil: . Other than that I am very happy with the pipes.

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have them on my '04 1300C. Made a set of custom baffles, the pipes were just too loud to ride through my neighborhood (I'm the president of the association, got to show some respect to the residents). Anyway, I really like the look but because they are low slung pipes you can scrape them if you are not careful. Backed the lower tip into a curb backing into a parking space on a ride a few months ago.

·
Registered
905 Posts
joe_bob1999 said:
Anyway, I really like the look but because they are low slung pipes you can scrape them if you are not careful. Backed the lower tip into a curb backing into a parking space on a ride a few months ago.
yep, I did the same once, I was used to my stockers and being able to back in til the tire hit.....needless to say, If your backing in on an angle, the tire won't be the first thing to hit if you have this style pipes :oops:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I like mine...a little on the loud side so I am using modified Vance and Hines quiet baffles. only loud now when I am going up a hill.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I totally love mine on my 05/Retro. Looks wise I did a lot of comparison with what was out there. They look great and a have a great deep rumble, I love the sound they make.

On the negative side I can tell you that they feel hot in the FL summer heat. As long as you're moving they're fine, but stop on a long red light or traffic jam and you'll feel the heat from the top-most pipe on your right thigh.

Other than that I think they're totally awesome pipes, they look and sound great.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
b.hartman said:
I love my slashdowns. They are plenty loud, but I like the tone. I have heard the bigshots, but never side by side with my slashdowns. I would say the volume is relatively close between the two, but like I said, I've never heard them both at the same time to really compare.
+1

One caution: If you do get shashdowns, lock-tite the hell out of the little screws that hold the tips in. I lost a tip shortly after getting the pipes, so I used lock-tite on the screw in the replacement and never worried about it again until a week or so ago, when I lost another one :evil: . Other than that I am very happy with the pipes
This has not happened to me. (3500 miles)

On the negative side I can tell you that they feel hot in the FL summer heat. As long as you're moving they're fine, but stop on a long red light or traffic jam and you'll feel the heat from the top-most pipe on your right thigh.
I find this problem to be slight.

Other than that I think they're totally awesome pipes, they look and sound great.
IMO the BEST $500 I have ever spent on MYSELF. They have been worth the money.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
apdspider said:
Also, where is the best place to buy these?
Get them from HDL.

Support our forum!

I did not, but didn't know about HDL (or the forum) when I got them with the brand new bike from the dealer.

I paid $50 more PLUS shipping.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never mind, I found out through a bit more research... 2.5". I'm gonna go listen to them this week, found a guy who doesn't live too far from me, then I'll probably make my purchase. You guys have been very helpful. This site is great!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts