Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question regarding the Cobra Tachometer on my bike. I just bought my '07 last week, and it had the tachometer installed prior to my purchase. When I start the bike up, it lights up as it should, but the needle does not move when I rev the engine. Upon further inspection the green wire looks like it split apart. I am guessing this is what controls the tach portion. Should I just splice back together (not sure if wire is long enough, which is why it may have split). If the wire is too short, can I add more wire to it?

Also I purchased a K&N air filter and now have seen various people say that I may need to do something with the jets? I am a noob to motorcycles I must say, but have a fair working understanding of car engines.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm pretty sure the currently avail Cobra Tachs dont work right on the VTX 1300. Older Cobras may work on it.

I had to lengthen the wire that goes to the coil on my aftermarket tach and on the Cobra on my last bike.
Had a Cobra on my 2011 VT750 and it didnt work right on my VTX 1300, different ignition systems.

Here's how a Tach gets wired:

·
Old Goat
24,406 Posts
U know I tried the K$N ..was too much work for me...I bought a case of OEM..and as mentioned no need to rejet unless u open the air box...now go ride the damn thing... (y)

·
Registered
666 Posts
U know I tried the K$N ..was too much work for me...I bought a case of OEM..and as mentioned no need to rejet unless u open the air box...now go ride the damn thing... (y)
Trick on the K&N is to get two filters so one is always clean and ready to be oiled an installed, no down time.
I notice improved performance with a K&N.

·
Old Goat
24,406 Posts
Trick on the K&N is to get two filters so one is always clean and ready to be oiled an installed, no down time.
I call snake oil on the k$n but hey if it works for u...Mine has ran fine for 54k/14 years..only way to improve it would be to add another motor...so I say...... from darkness till noon Over mountains that reach from the sky to the moon A man with a dream that will never let go Keeps searching to find El Dorado So ride, boldly ride, to the end of the rainbow Ride, boldly ride,

·
Registered
666 Posts
I call snake oil on the k$n but hey if it works for u...Mine has ran fine for 54k/14 years..only way to improve it would be to add another motor...so I say...... from darkness till noon Over mountains that reach from the sky to the moon A man with a dream that will never let go Keeps searching to find El Dorado So ride, boldly ride, to the end of the rainbow Ride, boldly ride,
No "snake oil" Breathes better...

·
Registered
7 Posts
No "snake oil" Breathes better...
no snake oil per se that is. Now a days there are a dozen mfg's of high volume high flow dry & wet performance air filters. They do help breathing\intake and simply rewrapping your exhaust inserts or removing a few layers, sshhh, helps exhaust breath. Back pressure not needed on 4 stroke engines due to engine and valve design, that being said you can go too big for your induction system to keep up and leads to longer warm up time with no restriction flow, otherwise known as a cold natured beast. First three upgrades that go to together are for simple combustion: air\oxygen or other C-up gases, spark\source of ignition and fuel\food\ C-up\source of mats. Air filter and intake system, plugs\wires\D&C or C packs etc and mathematical formula correct size exhaust collectors and exhaust pipe and induction size.

·
Registered
26,544 Posts
When it's time to clean it, I pull it out at the end of the riding day & clean it, let it dry overnight, oil it the next A.M., and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I run K&N in my VTX and Yamaha RSV. Not sure I can tell any difference. I stopped running them in my PU, Mini Van, and Challenger. I just got tired of cleaning them. Of course I am a bit anal, I clean them every year when I average 15,000 miles per year on each. I hate to the throwaya product but I am getting lazy in my old age.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My Barons has worked fine for 11years

1 - 15 of 15 Posts