Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A note of caution to anyone out there considering purchasing a Cobra tachometer for your VTX. I have a 2002 VTX 1800C. I purchased the motorcycle 5yrs ago, 2006, and at that time, had the Honda dealer install the Cobra Tachometer, sku 01-1650. About 3months after purchasing, the Cobra tach needle, for all intents and purposes, did a 360degree spin and end up getting stuck underneath the resting pin. I called the dealer, they agreed to send the unit back and geta new one for me. The dealer installed the replacement Cobra tach as well. Later that same year, the Cobra tach began to flicker on the righthand side backlighting. Finally, the righthand side backlighting went out all together. I was annoyed by this but decided I wouldn't bother returning the tachometer AGAIN as the lefthand side backlighting still functionally illuminated the tachometer face.

Last season 2010, the remaining lefthand side of the Cobra tachometer backlighting began to rapidly flicker on and off, especially at startup. Then, after maybe 10 minutes of riding, the lefthand side flickering would slow down for a spurt, then speed up, then slow, then the backlighting would go out all together (dark tach face), then randomly flicker. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. At idle, at speed, at startup, or running for an hour, the backlighting will flicker sporadically, go lengths of time out all together, and repeat. Very distracting to have a flashing backlight while riding at night. Not very safe either.

I contacted Cobra Customer Service recently about the issue via email and got the following response:
"When did we replace the tach for the dealer and what is the dealers name. If the tach is 9 years old we will not be able to help with a warranty. Let me know when we replaced the tach for you the last time. Thanks for asking Cobra, ride safe."

I told them that the original tach was from 2006 and the replacement tach was from 2006 as well. This appears to be within the 9yr time frame mentiond about warranty and I was encouraged. After sending Cobra the information they requested, this is the answer I received:

"Sorry the tach is out of warranty. We will be happy to sell you a new tach head. They are $134.95. Give us a call at 714-692-8180 if you would like to order just the tach head. Thanks for asking Cobra, ride safe."

Cobra isn't standing behind the quality and reliability of their product. And the Cobra reply to me seems like a no-brainer. This guy has already had ongoing problems with these Cobra tachometers. Why would they think that I would want to waste more money on this? Reviewing the other posts I've seen up here on the Cobra tachs, I say be very cautious of the Cobra tachometers for your VTX! They may look good and work well for a while, but the reliability just isn't there. I would be glad to not have a problem with it and get good performance, but just letting you know my experience.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just bought my new (to me) bike about a month ago. It had a Cobra tach on it. I haven't ridden at night yet so I can't say whether or not the backlight is working, but the tach itself sure isn't. The needle stays over in the 6000 to 7000 RPM range all the time, even when it's not running. I can't really complain about it since I have no idea how long it was on the bike before it quit working, but I doubt I'll spend the cash to fix it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Ive had one for 5 yrs no problem
Sounds like a bad install

It's way out of warranty
It's not a lifetime warrany
I had mine wind up the same way. Then I found the ground wire from the tach was on the wrong green wire in the bucket and was being influenced by the turn signals. Best to check the connections made by the dealer and also be sure the connections are sound. I soldered mine too after that.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Most items like that would carry a maximum of a one year warranty.

·
Registered
683 Posts
No problems here ..........:dontknow:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts