Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know coke is not good for you but it did an amazing job on rust. A non toxic inexpensive way to remove rust from metal. I was going to consider electrolysis but figured it was a more complicated and messy than I would like.

I had recently purchased a 2003 vtx 1800 with 4k on it, noticed the tank had rust as the dummy did not put $10 of gas to avoid the problem (I did low ball him to compensate for the grief, though)

I had soaked it for about 2 days and had to only minor scubbing with a brush on the rough areas.

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Now for a study of which formula works best, Coke, Coke Classic, Diet Coke, Coke Lite, Coke Zero and the arguments to follow. :joke:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I vote coke: the original.....

·
Registered
584 Posts
Coke can remove paint if left on too long.
It will also clean road scum from you car windshield and when I worked for them years ago, we used it to remove black marks from the floor that were left by the forklifts. :smile:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Now for a study of which formula works best, Coke, Coke Classic, Diet Coke, Coke Lite, Coke Zero and the arguments to follow. :joke:
But can you drink the coke using recycled material from a car tire?

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
Been using coke for many years on the darm. Like it was said good for battrery post,rusted bolts on farm machinery,hinges.:agree:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Used coke many years ago for removing rust on bicycles (wasn't old enough for a motorcycle yet). Worked great. Nothing like a little carbonic and phosphoric acid.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
And we wonder why we have cavities....:yikes:

Good info. This is one of those shade tree mechanic bits of trivia that get tucked away in the recesses of our minds. Good stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
And a great meat tenderizer. While stationed in Korea years ago, I had a deer leg joint that was marinated in coke and other spices. The meat was suprisingly tender.

·
Registered
545 Posts
carbon dioxide mixed with water makes carbonic acid. this is what is probably removing the rust or corrosion or whatever. any drink that has cabon dioxide and water would have the same effect, not just coke.

This includes things like soda water and crap beer that is not allowed to carbonate naturally through fermentation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
carbon dioxide mixed with water makes carbonic acid. this is what is probably removing the rust or corrosion or whatever. any drink that has cabon dioxide and water would have the same effect, not just coke.

This includes things like soda water and crap beer that is not allowed to carbonate naturally through fermentation.
Coke also contains phosphoric acid whish adds to the effect.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Coke also contains phosphoric acid whish adds to the effect.
The amount of phosphoric acid in coke is minimal at best, .20 to .30%. Phosphoric acid also works as a rust converter, not a remover. Regardless, the point is that any soda would work, not just coke.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts