Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 R with 30 K and it's relativley new to me. There is very little difference in the cold/warm engine idle speeds and I'm wondering how -or if- you adjust them. I can't tell if the wax unit that helps create the fast idle is working and I thought maybe a simple turn of an adjustment screw when the bike was cold would confirm it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The idle screw is for adjusting the idle after warm up. When warm the idle should be 900rpm's +/- 100 rpm's. Adjusting too low can cause an oil starvation problem.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have an 02 R with 30 K and it's relativley new to me. There is very little difference in the cold/warm engine idle speeds and I'm wondering how -or if- you adjust them. I can't tell if the wax unit that helps create the fast idle is working and I thought maybe a simple turn of an adjustment screw when the bike was cold would confirm it. Any thoughts?
The Alberta weather should tell you right away if the WAX valve is working. If the engine doesn't stall when you start it, that is letting it idle on its own, then everything is as it should be.
If the engine stays on fast idle for more than three or four minutes then you may want to try adjusting the WAX valve.
There should be a gradual decline in engine speed as the engine warms up.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I dont believe the Wax valve is adjustable.
It is adjustable provided you have a long nose pliers and a small open end wrench. Pull the air cleaner housing which exposes the working end of the WAX valve. It's the small disc that is right between the intake ports, exposed to the air intake. With the engine running you can push in and out on the disc and note the speed change at idle. With the engine off, hold the threaded end with the long nose pliers and cranking the small nut with the open end wrench either in or out you will change the idle speed and duration during a cold start. I think you crank in for faster cold start idle speed and crank out for slower, shorter duration warm up.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
It is adjustable provided you have a long nose pliers and a small open end wrench. Pull the air cleaner housing which exposes the working end of the WAX valve. It's the small disc that is right between the intake ports, exposed to the air intake. With the engine running you can push in and out on the disc and note the speed change at idle. With the engine off, hold the threaded end with the long nose pliers and cranking the small nut with the open end wrench either in or out you will change the idle speed and duration during a cold start. I think you crank in for faster cold start idle speed and crank out for slower, shorter duration warm up.
Good to know! Thanks, learned yet another tip here.........:congrats:

Show

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wax Valve Adjustment

My Idle speed is at least 900.
When I start my bike it immediatly reaches 900 and stays there till the fan comes on. Thus wondering about the wax valve

Due to Alberta's weather it is currently wrapped up in the garage. I will save this thread and check it out in the spring. Just one of a few questions to ponder while I have to wait.

Gotta move to a place that labels coolant. not antifreeze.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like it will help others as well.
I love this site...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'02 1800R California. No mods but a K&N A/C and a cobra Fi2000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts