Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 VTX1300S

When it is cold, 50 or below, my ride is a beast! I have to use the manual choke for at least the first 30 minutes of riding or it spits and gasps as if I were starving it! What is it about the 1300 that makes it so rough in cold weather? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Bump the A/F screw
Change fouled plugs and
Never use the choke/enricher for more than a minute or so if absolutely needed.
That is why the plugs are fouled.

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
Never ride a bike with the choke out. Now, fix the carb adjustments as said, then change your plugs as they are now fouled badly from riding with the choke out

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Its water cooled. Takes awhile for the sucker to warm up, cold blooded carbed machine. Mine is cold blooded, in cold weather I dont think my bike hardley makes temp.......I am pretty sure the t-stat is barely open....lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes, the choke is used only for seconds if at all. I FINALLY adjusted the AF screw like they said on this board (2 1/2" out) and I also reversed the spring in the gas petcock and my bike started without choke at 35 degrees yesterday morning. The carb pops off relatively easy (enongh to get to the screw) and I just took it out and cut a slot in the end so a screwdriver will adjust from now on (my skinflint apologies to those at Glen's). Couldn't find the exact tool, had no 22 cal casings nor electrical connector (as have been used per related posts) and I ended up using a small acid brush. Has almost the correct shape where the metal overlaps.

Any way, it started and ran excellent all day with no choke (80 or 90 miles), pulled hard thru all gears and speeds, and was pullin just as hard accelerating through 95mph (indicated) when I saw the cop!

He didn't notice me!!

Socks

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
if your not sure how to adjust the a/f screw or even where it is do a search for the scar mod you don't have to follow the whole proccedure but there are some good pics and imfo on adjusting the a/f screw in this write up . get that a/f adjusted new plugs and your troubles will be no more.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
It ain't no joke if you use that choke!!! Don't use the choke.
I don’t know why but it seems that a lot of bikes run fine when
new but after a couple years they seem to start having trouble.
OK some may be able to get away with using the choke but that
may have to do with when the set the carb during assembly.
However most of the time when someone is having trouble
starting their bikes it is usually due to using the
choke/enhancer and fouling the plugs. The choke in these bikes
isn't like the old fashion butterfly you are use to on older
types engines. The choke/enhancer actually dumps a whole lot of
gas directly into the cylinder and fouling the plugs. This is
all caused by the manufacture setting the A/F lean (1 5/8)
turns open to be able to pass EPA standards. If you set the A/f
at 2.5 turns open - most of the time you will not even need to
use the choke even when it is cold out.
Hers a link;
Glen's VTX Garage
http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

Direct link to the permanent.
http://glensvtxgarage.com/aftool.html
Also Glen has an awesome clutch relief bracket that reduces the clutch pull by 50%

Donut/Doug
Vet

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
When my bike was stock, it was really cold-blooded. I would pull the choke out all the way, fire up the bike, wait about 10 seconds, grab the throttle and hold it open while pushing in the choke all the way. I'd rev the bike some, and after about another 10-15 seconds let go of the throttle. If she stayed running, I'd let her really warm up at idle while I finished getting ready. If she stalled, I'd just start her up again (no choke) and hold the throttle open again for another 10 seconds or so and return it to idle.

Opening the a/f screw will help, but try my method first and see if that works. I never fouled a plug doing it that way.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was a new owner in Oct. also having cold weather starting , I listen to members on this site and with there help bike starts up and runs great at 35 degrees , Take there advice and you should be ok , if not keep posting and I'm sure more help will be on the way . Thanks again to everyone that help me :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It's pretty simple really... The manual tells you how to use your bike properly!

Yet, some people insist on over adjusting their pilot screws... or, riding down the road with their choke on. :confused:

There's nothing bad about the choke on the VTX, just some user errors... Many bikes have enricher circuits for chokes and it's nothing new that Honda came out with just for our bikes.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
It's pretty simple really... The manual tells you how to use your bike properly!

Yet, some people insist on over adjusting their pilot screws... or, riding down the road with their choke on. :confused:

There's nothing bad about the choke on the VTX, just some user errors... Many bikes have enricher circuits for chokes and it's nothing new that Honda came out with just for our bikes.
:agree: Honda put the choke/enricher on the bike for a reason. If used properly the bike will do just fine getting started, warming up, and getting going in any temperature. I will also agree that these bikes are rather temperamental when the temp drops. You cannot expect to just go push the starter button and get going immediately when it's cold. The choke is not for that. It's there to get the bike started and running, not for going down the road.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thirty minutes of run time is way too long for warm-up mo matter the AF setting. I wonder about an open coolant thermostat.

I have the adjustable AF and have mine set richer than stock as is common, but still use the enrighment when cold and DO ride away with the enrichment pulled enough to keep it running smoothly until it warms-up, which takes about 1 to 2 miles at 50F. I typically put it in gear, declutch, start her and ride away all at once, no wait, no "clunk" and no wasted fuel.

prs

·
Registered
15 Posts
cold running

It was 27* this morning and used my enricher for the first time this year. Pulled it out about 1/4", cranked throttle twice and it started right up. Held throttle and slowly pushed enricher in, held rpm up to keep it running for about 45 seconds by my clock, slowly let it down to idle. Purchased Glens A/F screw and smog block off plates and am waiting for a warmer day to do the installation. I'm not real upset with the way my ride runs now but those two items sounded like a good idea.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
:agree: Honda put the choke/enricher on the bike for a reason. If used properly the bike will do just fine getting started, warming up, and getting going in any temperature. I will also agree that these bikes are rather temperamental when the temp drops. You cannot expect to just go push the starter button and get going immediately when it's cold. The choke is not for that. It's there to get the bike started and running, not for going down the road.
Thirty minutes of run time is way too long for warm-up mo matter the AF setting. I wonder about an open coolant thermostat.

I have the adjustable AF and have mine set richer than stock as is common, but still use the enrighment when cold and DO ride away with the enrichment pulled enough to keep it running smoothly until it warms-up, which takes about 1 to 2 miles at 50F. I typically put it in gear, declutch, start her and ride away all at once, no wait, no "clunk" and no wasted fuel.

prs
i had the same issue as the op when i first bought my bike. the bike would not idle for 5 minutes and would not run smooth for 30 minutes when it was cold. after rejetting it starts easier idles in about 30 seconds and is drivable directly after

1 - 16 of 16 Posts