Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 VTX 1800 C @ 60,000 miles on it ... replaced fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure sensor 2 months ago along with new battery.

cranked fine... "cold" weather (meaning South GA cold weather...haha)

so yesterday 41 degrees ... roll out of garage at home... cranks fine
ride to work sat outside all day ... tried to crank about 4:30pm ... turns over fine ... just won't crank ... seems I can also smell a little gas odor ... as if flooding
finally cranks ... park in garage all night
This morning roll out of garage ... cranks fine

Just seems erratic sometimes it starts ... sometimes not ...

Questions: is there such a thing as a cold crank sensor ???
Would a PCIII map affect how it might start in cold weather ?

Any other suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks again

David

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
How does it start when it's hot. Like when you stop for fuel?

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Have you cleaned the starter switch push button's contacts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not done anything to the starter switch push buttons ... I can try that but the starter is spinning like it should ...
what's your thinking on this ? (don't read as me being smart aleck) ... just trying to learn the thought process ... Thanks.

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
I suggest disconnecting the PC and see what happens.
Have you done the "Ground Fix"??
Fuel Pressure Regulator aka FPR.
OEM Vacuum hoses crack/split on the interior wall, vacuum leak could allow fuel pressure to go up. High pressure fuel makes a richer mixture.
Look at the 2pin connector near the starter relay that goes from 30 amp fuses to the main harness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try this on your cold starts. Hit the starter switch with the kick stand up. My '02 1800C likes this procedure.
I'll try this ... LOL... hope it will be that simple ! Thanks
I suggest disconnecting the PC and see what happens.
Have you done the "Ground Fix"??
Fuel Pressure Regulator aka FPR.
OEM Vacuum hoses crack/split on the interior wall, vacuum leak could allow fuel pressure to go up. High pressure fuel makes a richer mixture.
Look at the 2pin connector near the starter relay that goes from 30 amp fuses to the main harness.
yep Ground Fix done long time ago ... I've owned bike for about 15 years
just replaced the FPR ... think I called it FPS - sensor ... but meant regulator ... when I replaced fuel pump ... you helped a lot in me determining to replace these
haven't checked the vacuum hoses or the 2 pin connector yet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey though ... stumbled across this on BareA** site ...

hard cranking - cold temps
probable cause:
**loose/poor contact on ECT sensor
**Open/short circuit on ECT wire
**faulty ECT sensor

ECT is the Engine Coolant Temperature controls high temp warning light and sends signal to ECM
If not working engine will be difficult to start in cold temps.

will be working with these as well

Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
... turns over fine ... just won't crank ...
Pardon me for being an engineer and nitpicking but I thought "cranking" and "turning over" were synonyms for the starter successfully spinning the engine.
Do you, by a chance, mean that she cranks fine but won't fire up? As in: there is mechanical spinning of the engine but there is no subsequent light of the mixture?
Completely different problems with different causes and solutions.
Just wanted to make sure we're chasing the right tail here. :)
And good luck with the fix!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'll try this ... LOL... hope it will be that simple ! Thanks

yep Ground Fix done long time ago ... I've owned bike for about 15 years
just replaced the FPR ... think I called it FPS - sensor ... but meant regulator ... when I replaced fuel pump ... you helped a lot in me determining to replace these
haven't checked the vacuum hoses or the 2 pin connector yet
I not kidding, on cold start up the the starter motor would struggle to fire it up. I can put the kick stand up on cold starts and It cranks up pretty fast. My friends '03 1800C does the same thing. On hot starts stand can be up or down and fires up quick. I wish I could explain !

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Just throwing this into the mix, if you're running a very heavy oil, it will be like tar until it warms up. Makes it hard to crank, and slower.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
I not kidding, on cold start up the the starter motor would struggle to fire it up. I can put the kick stand up on cold starts and It cranks up pretty fast. My friends '03 1800C does the same thing. On hot starts stand can be up or down and fires up quick. I wish I could explain !
Using KS UP and operating clutch lever you disengage the clutch and stop the mainshaft from moving.
I start mine in Neutral and disengage the clutch also.
Running Dino oil it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I not kidding, on cold start up the the starter motor would struggle to fire it up. I can put the kick stand up on cold starts and It cranks up pretty fast.
That sounds like a big clue to an electrical ground problem for the starter relay.
Hans, how wrong am I?

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Two possibilities exist:
1- a diode in series with the neutral switch to Starter Relay. I only know of one diode failure
2- The Neutral switch could be near the extension limit and have an intermittent connection.
Using the clutch lever to disengage the clutch also has a chance of pushing the mainshaft to the right
causing an intermittent connection.
KS UP + Clutch switch = Ground to the Starter relay Green/Red wire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pardon me for being an engineer and nitpicking but I thought "cranking" and "turning over" were synonyms for the starter successfully spinning the engine.
Do you, by a chance, mean that she cranks fine but won't fire up? As in: there is mechanical spinning of the engine but there is no subsequent light of the mixture?
Completely different problems with different causes and solutions.
Just wanted to make sure we're chasing the right tail here. :)
And good luck with the fix!
Sorry Lou... I did study some applied physics and strength of materials in a mechanical engineering class or two ... but I'm using Applied Southern terminology ! LOL ... just kidding ...
Seriously though ... turning over (to me) indicates all working fine starter, battery power, etc .... just not cranking (meaning ... engine starts and begins to run)
may/may not be correct ... just what I meant ... haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update ... not ruling out "anything" y'all have suggested and greatly appreciate it ... but so far ... the kickstand issue "seems" to be leading the way with getting it started.

yesterday - cranked three three different times KS down on each crank... started right up
this morning KS down... turned over - didn't crank -- bumped KS up ... fired right up

Running 5w30 full syn oil
I always (99%) of time crank in N with clutch held in (habit) ...

Thanks greatly for all of the input !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts