Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
There are two status leads to the ECM, one from the Neutral switch, the other from
the Kick Stand switch. The ECM has to see a GROUND from one of those wires or no IGN.

The diode or neutral switch would be the most likely to be at fault.
Too much voltage drop, oxidation at connections.
Test for voltage drop or use a jumper wire.
Remember to put it in Neutral if not on the seat.
You can disconnect the Starter Motor cable to get a better idea of what is coming from the
Neutral switch/diode Light Green wire.

My Neutral switch was becoming intermittent. (A few others have also)
80k+ miles Apri l2010 Neutral switch intermittent.. Filed and sanded thick copper sealing washer--fixed problem..
Still working well...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There are two status leads to the ECM, one from the Neutral switch, the other from
the Kick Stand switch. The ECM has to see a GROUND from one of those wires or no IGN.

The diode or neutral switch would be the most likely to be at fault.
Too much voltage drop, oxidation at connections.
Test for voltage drop or use a jumper wire.
Remember to put it in Neutral if not on the seat.
You can disconnect the Starter Motor cable to get a better idea of what is coming from the
Neutral switch/diode Light Green wire.

My Neutral switch was becoming intermittent. (A few others have also)
80k+ miles Apri l2010 Neutral switch intermittent.. Filed and sanded thick copper sealing washer--fixed problem..
Still working well...

Hans --- Excellent info ... thanks so much again ... you help so many people on here you may not remember but you pretty much walked me through the trouble shooting process to determine my fuel pump needed replacing several months ago ...

thanks. again !

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Seriously though ... turning over (to me) indicates all working fine starter, battery power, etc .... just not cranking (meaning ... engine starts and begins to run)
I use "cranking" and "turning over" as synonyms. For terminology sake, "cranking" comes from when our predecessors used a hand crank to turn over the engine.
See where I'm coming from? Good ol' times!

Good luck chasing the grounding gremlin. Hope that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just an update ... not ruling out "anything" y'all have suggested and greatly appreciate it ... but so far ... the kickstand issue "seems" to be leading the way with getting it started.

yesterday - cranked three three different times KS down on each crank... started right up
this morning KS down... turned over - didn't crank -- bumped KS up ... fired right up

Running 5w30 full syn oil
I always (99%) of time crank in N with clutch held in (habit) ...

Thanks greatly for all of the input !
(y) , Hans provided the technical knowledge all I know the KS up worked for me....this is a great board for info. Hats off to all !

21 - 24 of 24 Posts