Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in my final year of Mechanical Engineering and our Senior Project has to be something that we can build and show that it works. We will design it, do all the calculations (i.e. heat transfer, materials properties analysis, etc.), build it and then we will have to show that it has a snowball's chance in hell of selling (or at least, that is one of the major criteria used in picking a winner). I will have an entire year that has to be filled with this project. I thought about a supercharger, but the more I read on this board, the less I think it is feasible. I only have 1 VTX and I can't afford to blow the engine :shock: or damage it in any way. I also thought of taking on the gas tank project. Beyond that, I am stuck. I am quite capable of handling the academics of engineering, but I am totally and completely uncreative. Help guys......I need ideas.....

Tim

I am not looking for something to put me into business for myself, just want to spend a year working on my bike, while getting college credit for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,616 Posts
How about a hidden cooling system. Some mechanical requirements (mounting and vibration analysis), heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Take the front air scoop that is on the bottom of the Kawasaki ZX12 triple tree (I think that is the model) and figure out a way to put ducted ram air on the VTX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Take the front air scoop that is on the bottom of the Kawasaki ZX12 triple tree (I think that is the model) and figure out a way to put ducted ram air on the VTX.
maybe out of carbon fiber........I have access to "scrap"......hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bluto said:
How about a hidden cooling system. Some mechanical requirements (mounting and vibration analysis), heat transfer and fluid dynamics.
That's a "cool" idea......ok, I'm sorry, that was terrible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Design a new air intake. It only needs minimal aesthetic qualities and slightly better performance ability, but you have to drag the release of it out as long as possible. Then hype the crap outta it, build a feeding frenzy for it. Then, when you do finally release it, make it ridiciously over priced and build it in limited numbers. People would go crazy for these.



Oh wait, this has already been done.



Just build a clamp-on beer holder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Try for something similar to a Proton 4 and see if you can sell it for a price everyone can afford. I hope you win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RJRpig said:
Try for something similar to a Proton 4 and see if you can sell it for a price everyone can afford. I hope you win.
I had considered that, too.

I have free access to a wind tunnel, air pressure/velocity measuring equipment, CNC machine, rapid prototyper, lathe, welders, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
Hell, if you get an entire year to build, you outta just build a single-side swingarm, integrated brake and all. With all the testing equipment you have, you should be able to build something perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
A left handed throttle that only operates when the right hand is off the handgrip. Maybe a self locking type of mechanism for saftey.
I was went riding the other day after 3 hours of hard raking. My hand started to cramp up, and I didn't want to pull over, so I reached over with my left hand and operated the throttle while I stretched my hand. I thought how neat it would be to have a throttle on the left side so that I can still control speed, without a throttle sticking cruise control.
I found it very easy to manage the speed, and it was similar to using the brake in a car with your left foot.
This would be neat in cold weather as well, maintaining (variable) speed while you stick your throttle hand in your jacket to warm it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
apachebell said:
oh yeah, access to SolidWorks, ProE, Autocad, etc.
As an 1800C owner, I'd really really really like a 7 gallon fuel tank. Please? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
You could try to make a performance exhaust that would be about the same volume as the stockers. There have been several threads here in the last few days where people can't get inspections because of the aftermarket pipes not meeting state laws. Figure it out and make it asthetically pleasing and you'd definitely be able to sell a few of those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
937 Posts
I like the better cooling solution! The radiator is one area no one has ventured into… sure, it may not be able to hide it, but it would challenge many aspects of mechanical engineering. All the fundamentals for this design are there.

You would have to design a much more efficient cooling system in order to reduce the overall size and still carry off the heat required for the engine to operate properly. I think this would create a much more difficult challenge.

Attempting to design and create a element already completed by someone else, such as the Proton 4 would simply be unethical IMHO.


My second recommendation would be an exhaust system..... but so many different styles and preferences from so many different riders would be difficult overcome. Which is why the cooling system would be a plus... everyone hates the current radiator.


Good Luck

RKip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Re.. project,

I've always thought that glass exhaust pipes would be cool,
being able to see a flame from head to exhaust tip with every pulse of the
engine, especially @ night. No chrome to blue, (although you would need to
be able to clean the soot from the inside)

I don't know if such an element of glass exists yet, I know there are some
very good "grades" of glass, Pyrex etc, I sure someday NASA or someone
will engineer a clear high temp matl that would work.
And of course the matl would have to be able to withstand internal combustion shock, as well as external forces, rocks etc.


8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,249 Posts
RKip said:
I like the better cooling solution! The radiator is one area no one has ventured into… sure, it may not be able to hide it, but it would challenge many aspects of mechanical engineering. All the fundamentals for this design are there.

You would have to design a much more efficient cooling system in order to reduce the overall size and still carry off the heat required for the engine to operate properly. I think this would create a much more difficult challenge.

Attempting to design and create a element already completed by someone else, such as the Proton 4 would simply be unethical IMHO.


My second recommendation would be an exhaust system..... but so many different styles and preferences from so many different riders would be difficult overcome. Which is why the cooling system would be a plus... everyone hates the current radiator.


Good Luck

RKip
I agree. Why reinvent the wheel (P4)? Hide that cooling system. Or if you want to really make some people happy, and do something that has not been done, design some performance parts for the 1300s. There is tons of stuff for the 1800. How about a performance cam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I'm still in favor of dual exhaust. I think that would look great on the Retros and N's.
 
H

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I have free access to a wind tunnel
Now you are talking. Lets go for the World Land Speed record. There has to be a category we can squeeze into.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top