Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am toying with the idea of attending the 2009 Coloradical. I’ve looked at the website and it looks like it would be an adventure. I would travel to this event for the following reasons:
1. Would be fun to meet some of you folks on this forum who share the enthusiasm of riding the VTX.
2. There are some nice looking bikes here! I would like to see them up close and do some drooling. ( I would of course bring my own drooling cloth).
3. I would be able to add this as a road trip, 1 down, many more to go.
4. I’ve never ridden in a group, so the group rides would offer me some very good experience.
5. Food! I like food.
6. Would be able to hear different pipes, see different mods, etc. Good information to be had.

Now, with that said, I do have a concern, which is the basis of this thread. I hung up my party hat nearly 20 years ago. Is this Coloradical just a big drunken biker fest? Or is it a decent event for a non-partier to attend? And don’t get me wrong. If you drink and party, that’s your business. But if drinking and partying and whooping it up is the big draw to the Coloradical, then I’ll probably pass. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I got to go to the first Coloradical and it was awesome! The VTX Family was even better. The partying was also great and at the motel after the rides. You don't have to drink to be part of the party either. :)

If you don't make the trip you will surly miss a great time!!!!!!!! I hope to make it again one day. :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
... But if drinking and partying and whooping it up is the big draw to the Coloradical, then I’ll probably pass. Thanks.
Definitely not how I would describe it! For your Colorado hosts, it is all about the ride. A chance to share with our fellow VTX riders the awesome roads that are our backyard. We have you on the road by 8:00 a.m. and do our best to have you back in time for your evening supper (sometimes in ends up being a late supper :D). Now are there usually some adult beverages to be had in the evening, you bet. But I really don't think that is the draw.

But I will leave it now to those who have visited us in Colorado to share with you what they consider the "big draw" that keeps many of them coming back year after year.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I got to go to the first Coloradical and it was awesome! The VTX Family was even better. The partying was also great and at the motel after the rides. You don't have to drink to be part of the party either. :)

If you don't make the trip you will surly miss a great time!!!!!!!! I hope to make it again one day. :)
We'd love to see you back again!

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
This event is GREAT!! The hosts and hostesses are the BEST! Can't beat the people and the riding. Hubby and I got to go in 2006 and would love to head that way this year.

Don't hesitate on adding this ride to your schedule.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I have been to three Coloradicals and it is far from a drinking party. I've never seen anyone drunk at any of the events. The rides start in the morning and last most of the day. Very few even have one beer for lunch on the rides. When the bikes return in the afternoon, some have a couple of drinks on the patio or by the pool and many just drink water or soda pop.

The event is about riding the Rocky Mountains, going to a baseball game (optional), participating and watching the bike games (optional), meeting fellow riders, having a dinner and a catered BBQ together (optional) and seeing all the different ways people customize their bikes. Now that I think about it, everything is optional. You can even get a map and ride your own ride and get suggestions where to ride from any of the Colorado riders.

The group rides are planned and orchestrated to accommodate all levels of riders. The ride leaders run at safe speeds and they do not over drive the road conditions. You chose which rides you wish to ride by the miles that will be covered by the ride and the areas each ride covers.

The Colorado riders put a lot of effort into the planning of this premier event. And this is a premier event. It is not a rally where you travel to it and walk through vendor tents and visit different bars.

All bikes are welcome and it is fun. I just realized I haven't registered yet. The 2009 Coloradical will be my fourth straight.

·
Super Moderator
64,224 Posts
It's very family oriented. As said, the rides leave pretty early in the AM so there's not a lot of late night drinking going on. HOWEVER, you CAN find it if you are looking for it, and I have been a party to that on occasion. But it is usually just a few guys having a few after a day of riding. Once thebikes are parked, beer might been seen here and there. There has never been any fights that I'm aware of, no nudity like you hear of at Little Sturgis or Big Sturgis.
If you don't want to have one, that's great, it's still a fun time for all 8)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I've attended twice and its not about the drinking, bar hopping, nudity,vendors like many rallies are...its about the RIDE! What most of us bought our bike's for! You just can't beat the ride, companionship, food and meeting old friends from past years and getting to know new ones from the board. Some bring their friends who have other type of bikes and even Goldwing trikes show up. Best of all there's so many rides to choose from each day, just one ride will probably take up most of your day. You can go on a guided ride or go off on your own with the maps/directions they provide. After you've been to the Colorado VTX meet, you will wonder why doesn't the other rallies do these things. . Your rooms are discounted, there's free water and sodas provided, no fee for the event itself, vendors provide things for a raffle rather than take your money...its definatly a family event. Some of the wives who don't ride come too and spend their day at the hotel and then spend time with their hubby's in the evenings.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
well I for one do not drink and have not for a few years I will be at the Coloradical looking to have a great time so come on out and enjoy

·
Registered
6,426 Posts

You were at the 2nd one too, Wilbur...you had to leave after a couple of days, but you had the VTX Chopper with you at Stan's and in Denver....remember now???

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
I went & behaved myself....:shock:
This event is a must for any VTXOA rider for sure.

I met a guy last year that wondered what all the X's in town were about,
he went home & googled it and came out to meet us.~M

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I feel ya, man! Practically the first question I get asked when someone finds out I have a bike is, "Do you go to Sturgis?" I always reply with, "Nope, that's not my kind of crowd."

·
Registered
933 Posts
I was at the first Colorado ride. I did not have one drink and enjoyed it a lot.

I have been to many Sturgis rallies. Never had one drink while in attendance. I enjoyed it a lot.

Drinking is choice. I do drink on a rare occasion. But not when I am riding.

It is very easy to go to the Colorado ride or a bike rally and not drink, but still have a wonderful time. nojoke

·
Registered
131 Posts
My wife and I attened the ride in 2007 and had a great time! With the rides starting out early in the morning, I didn't see too many people staying up very late drinking. We did have a couple of beers watching the folks during the games and also had a couple during the BBQ, but as stated before, nobody got stupid drunk. I would bring my kids and grandma to this event without a doubt.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
You were at the 2nd one too, Wilbur...you had to leave after a couple of days, but you had the VTX Chopper with you at Stan's and in Denver....remember now???
Yes I was now that you mention it... :) Had a good time then too!!! :)

How are u? Hope all is good. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts